- Bandhan Bank holding firm sells 20.95% stake to meet RBI norms Bandhan Bank has met the promoter holding norms of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) after its holding company Bandhan Financial Holdings Ltd (BFHL) sold 95%
stake in the bank to at least seven investors. GIC is an existing shareholder of
Bandhan Bank. Bandhan Bank, CEO Chandra Shekhar Ghosh.
2. BOB Financial Solutions Limited partners Fiserv Technology for Digital Transformation
It will enable the digitization of their end-to-end card issuance and processing cycle and support the unveiling of several new and high-tech products namely contactless credit cards, tokenisation & integration with branded wallets, & virtual credit cards. Shailendra Singh, MD and CEO at BOB Financial Solutions Limited.
3. NPCI launches loyalty platform ‘nth Rewards’
NPCI launched a business intelligence and analytics-enabled omnichannel multi-branded loyalty platform, nth Rewards. It will allow users to earn points through various bank transactions and redeem them on various products, such as e-vouchers. NPCI is an umbrella organization for all retail payment systems.
4. RBI to set up ‘innovation hub’ to promote financial inclusion, efficient
RBI launched ‘Innovation Hub’ for ideation & incubation of new capabilities that can be leveraged to deepen financial inclusion. The hub is being launched to promote start-ups in the country. It will help in ideation and incubation of new capabilities.
Criteria of minimum net worth for Sandbox entities- Rs 25 lakh.
- RBI permits banks to invest in debt instruments through mutual funds RBI has permitted banks to invest in debt instruments through mutual funds or exchange-traded funds without allocating additional charges. This will result in
substantial capital savings for banks & is expected to give a boost to the corporate
bond market. Debt instrument examples-Bond, Commercial Paper, CD, G-Secs.
6. RBI announces loan restructuring window for corporates
MSME borrowers would be eligible for the restructuring of debt if their accounts were classified standard. RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das also raised the Loan to value ratio against gold to 90% from current 75% to mitigate COVID 19 impact on households. RBI was established on 1 April 1935, under the RBI Act, 1934.
7. IBBI amends Insolvency & Bankruptcy Board of India, Liquidation Process, Third Amendment, Regulations, 2020
The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India notified the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India, Liquidation Process, Third Amendment, Regulations, 2020. The Regulations require the committee of creditors to fix the fee payable to the liquidator. IBBI Chairman- M. S. Sahoo, Headquarters- New Delhi.
8. RBI bars banks from opening current accounts for customers having availed cash credit or overdraft facilities
RBI barred banks from opening current accounts for customers who have availed cash credit or overdraft facilities, with a view to improving credit discipline. Rather than opening a new current account, all transactions should be routed through these.
Minimum balance requirement for Current Account- Rs. 10,000.
9. RBI forms five-member committee under KV Kamath, panel to recommend parameters for loan restructuring
The immediate task of the committee is to recommend a list of financial parameters to be factored into the assumptions that go into each resolution plan. Parameters will include aspects related to leverage, liquidity, debt serviceability etc. Indian Banks’ Assoc. CEO Sunil Mehta is secretary to the panel.
10. CDSL gets UIDAI nod for e-KYC Aadhaar authentication
Central Depository Services Ltd has received clearance from UIDAI to carry out e-KYC authentication using Aadhaar & act as a local Authentication User Agency or e-KYC User Agency. Once registered as KUA, they can open accounts using Aadhaar-based e- KYC. CSDL is the first listed Indian securities depository.
11. Exim Bank extends $250 million lines of credit to Mozambique
Export-Import Bank of India has extended a $250-mn. (about ₹1,870 crore) line of credit to Mozambique for improving power supply quality in the country. Exim Bank till date has extended 14 LOCs to Mozambique, taking their total value to $772.44 million. Capital: Maputo; Currency: Mozambican metical.
12. South Indian Bank to set up wholly-owned non-financial subsidiary
South Indian Bank obtained in-principle approval from RBI to set up a non- financial subsidiary. It is a further step in consolidating SIBs position as a Retail Banking Powerhouse. It already centralised all its operations both on liability & asset sides. SIB Head Quarters: Thrissur. CEO: V G Mathew.
13. RBI Board approves transfer of Rs 57,128 crore as surplus to govt
RBI Board approved the transfer of Rs 57,128 crore as surplus to the government for the accounting year 2019-20 while maintaining the Contingency Risk Buffer at 5.5%. This was decided at the 584th meeting of the Central Board of RBI chaired by Governor RBI also discussed the proposal of setting up an Innovation Hub.
14. SBI introduces KCC review feature on YONO Krishi
SBI added a new feature called Kisan Credit Card Review on YONO Krishi to make the lives of farmer customers easier by offering them technology-backed solutions. With this, farmers need not visit a bank branch to apply for a revision in their KCC limit. It is expected to benefit more than 7.5 million farmers.
15. HDFC Bank launches Shaurya KGC card for the armed forces
HDFC Bank has launched the Shaurya KGC card for the armed forces. The product is based on Kisan credit card guidelines by the government and will provide armed forces personnel with finance for agricultural requirements like production of the crop, etc., Aditya Puri – Managing Director of HDFC Bank.
16. Federal Bank chooses Fiserv to support the launch of first independent credit card
Private sector lender Federal Bank has chosen global provider of payments and
financial services technology solutions Fiserv to enable digitisation of the bank’s end- to- card issuance and processing cycle and support the launch of its credit card. Bank will outsource associated operational processes to Fiserv.
17. RBI mandates system-based asset classification for UCBs
In order to improve the efficiency, transparency and integrity of the asset classification process the RBI has mandated urban co-operative banks (UCBs) with assets of ₹2,000 crores or more to implement system-based asset
classification from 30 June 2021. As of March 2019, there were 1, 544 UCBs in India.
18. Core investment companies can have only two layers: RBI
The Reserve Bank of India has mandated the number of layers of Core Investment Companies (CICs) within a group, including the parent, to be not more than two. This is irrespective of the extent of direct or indirect control CIC exercises in another. The report of the working group on CICs was released in Nov 2019.
19. Digital Apnayen: PNB launches campaign to encourage digital banking
PNB launched DIGITAL APNAYEN, to encourage customers to use digital banking channels. The bank will contribute Rs 5 towards PM CARES Fund behalf of each customer making the first transaction to activate RuPay Debit card either on PoS or e-commerce platform. The campaign is valid until March 31, 2021.
20. RBL Bank onboards Accenture for the digital transformation journey
Mumbai based RBL Bank has signed on information technology (IT) services and consultancy firm Accenture for its digital transformation initiatives. Accenture will help RBL bank to upgrade its IT systems to improve operational efficiency. RBL Bank CEO: Vishwavir Ahuja. HQ: Mumbai.
21. Kotak Mahindra Bank goes live with CRMNEXT
Kotak Mahindra Bank has implemented CRMNEXT to enable the bank to deliver end-to-end digital and paperless journeys to serve customers. This new unified digital platform enhances digital capabilities to sell and services customers across any touchpoint. Kotak Mahindra Bank HQ: Mumbai. CEO: Uday Kotak.
22. Lakshmi Vilas Bank launches instant account opening facility
Lakshmi Vilas Bank launched LVB DigiGo, a digital initiative to enable the opening of savings to account instantly to help people to avail the most required banking services through the website. It can be converted to a fully-featured account, upon visiting a branch. S Sundar – interim MD & CEO of LVB. HQ: Chennai.
23. Fino Payments Bank unveils digital savings account
Fino Payments Bank has launched Jan BachatKhata (JBK), an Aadhaar Authentication- based digital savings account bringing neo-banking experience for customers. The primary segment would be low-income household families and beneficiaries of
government’s DBT. Fino Pay Tech HQ: Mumbai. CEO: Rishi Gupta.
- RBI unveils framework for umbrella entity to manage payment systems RBI unveiled the framework to set up a pan-India umbrella entity with a minimum capital of Rs 500 crore, which will set up, manage and operate new payment systems
in the retail payment space & invited applications from eligible companies by Feb 26,
2021. The minimum net worth of Rs 300 crore to be maintained at all times.
25. SBI waives off SMS charges for all savings accounts
SBI has waived off SMS charges in addition to its penalty waiver on non-maintenance of minimum balance for all its Savings Accounts. SBI has over 44 crore savings accounts. It is applicable to all Savings Account with cheque or Internet Banking
facilities. It levied a penalty of ₹ 5 – ₹15 for non-maintenance of balance.
26. Yes Bank unveils ‘loan against securities’
Yes Bank has introduced digital ‘Loan against Securities’, to enable customers to lien mark their mutual funds with KFin Technologies, digitally and avail quick loans. This feature has been introduced under the bank’s ‘Loan in Seconds’ platform. Sreekanth Nadella – CEO of KFin Technologies.
27. Tata Capital launches Swift Insta Personal loan via WhatsApp
Tata Capital, the financial services subsidiary of Tata Group launched of ‘Swift Insta Personal Loan’ (SIPL) on WhatsApp where existing customers can easily apply for loans and receive sanctions for personal loans using the company’s chatbot TIA on WhatsApp. Tata Capital CEO: Rajiv Sabharwal. HQ: Mumbai.
28. RBI unveils 5-year national strategy for financial education
The National Strategy for Financial Education (NSFE): 2020-2025 document, the second one after the 2013-18 NSFE, released by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
recommended a ‘5 C’ approach for dissemination of financial education in the country.
The strategy for education to be implemented in the next 5 years.
29. HSBC: first foreign bank in India to launch ‘green deposit’
HSBC, in line with its global offerings, has launched a green deposit programme in India for its corporate clients, thus offering them an avenue to support eco-friendly projects. The money collected will finance green initiatives such as renewable energy. Recently, HSBC financed a 250 MW wind power project at Kutch.
- Unitus Ventures secures investment of Rs 75 crore from SIDBI bank Unitus Ventures has secured an investment of Rs 75 crore (USD 10 million) under SIDBI’s Fund of Funds for Start-ups initiative. Funds received from SIDBI will
strengthen the deployment of Unitus’ second fund that was launched in 2018. Small
Industrial Development Bank of India HQ: Lucknow.
31. NABARD launches credit guarantee programme for NBFC-MFIs
NABARD introduced dedicated debt & credit guarantee product to ensure the flow of credit. Product Structured Finance & Partial Guarantee Programme to NBFC- MFIs provides partial guarantee on pooled loans extended to small & mid-sized microfinance institutions. NABARD Chairman: Govinda Rajulu Chintala.
32. India and AIIB sign USD 500 million loan agreement for Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III
Centre, Maharashtra Government, Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation and the AIIB signed a loan agreement for $ 500 million Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III to improve the network capacity, service quality and safety of the suburban railway system in Mumbai. A loan from AIIB has 5 year grace period & maturity of 30 years.
33. Paytm Payments Bank enables banking services through Aadhaar cards
Paytm Payments Bank (PPBL) enabled banking services through Aadhaar by integrating with AePS. Customers can access to basic banking services such as cash withdrawal, balance enquiry, etc., via business correspondent of any banking & financial institution. AePS: Aadhaar enabled Payment System.
34. India’s overall growth projected at minus 4.5% for 2020-21: RBI
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said on its 2019-20 annual report, wherein it has stated that India’s growth is projected at minus 4.5 percent for 2020-21. It expected headline inflation to remain elevated in Q2:2020-21. Reserve Bank of India, Headquarters- Mumbai.
35. RBI announces OMO of govt securities worth ₹20,000 crore
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced open market operations or OMO of government securities for an aggregate amount of ₹20,000 crores in two tranches of
₹10,000 crores each. The auction to take place in two tranches of ₹ 10,000 crores
each. OMO tries to regulate the money supply in the economy.
36. HDFC Bank partners with Adobe to enhance personalised customer experience
Adobe experience manager forms will allow HDFC Bank to provide personalized online experiences to its existing & new customers and platforms like data management in Adobe audience manager will aid the lender to develop a deeper understanding of customers. Adobe Inc. CEO, Shantanu Narayen.
37. ICICI Bank introduces use of satellite data to assess farm loans ICICI Bank became first in India and among few globally to use satellite
data-imagery from Earth observation satellites to assess the creditworthiness
of farmers. ICICI was first to introduce Internet & mobile banking, 24*7 touch banking branches, etc., ICICI Bank CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi. HQ: Mumbai.
38. RBI launches surveys on consumer confidence, inflation expectations
RBI is conducting the Consumer Confidence Survey & Inflation Expectations Survey of Households. CCS seeks “qualitative responses” from households, regarding their sentiments on the general economic situation & IESH aims to capture assessment on inflation CCS & IESH is conducted in 13 & 18 Indian cities respectively
39. State Bank of India and Bank of Baroda have the biggest share of Jan Dhan outstanding
SBI has seen a 12.2% rise in outstanding Jan Dhan balance in the first four-and-a-half months, while BoB’s outstanding rose 12.9% in the same period in such accounts, more than the industry average. Banks have opened around 40 crore Jan Dhan accounts in 5 yrs. Jan Dhan Yojana was launched in 2014.
1. ₹ 87,422 crore gross GST revenue collected in July
Gross GST revenue collected in July 2020 is ₹ 87,422 cr. of which CGST-₹ 16,147cr., SGST is ₹ 21,418 Cr, IGST-₹ 42,592 cr. (including ₹ 20,324 cr. collected on import of goods) and Cess -₹7,265 crore (including ₹ 807cr. collected on import of goods).
Goods and Services Tax (GST) is an indirect tax.
2. PM Modi releases the sixth instalment of Rs 17,100 crore under PM-KISAN scheme
Under the 6th instalment of PM-Kisan scheme, ₹17,000 crores of PM-Kisan Samman Nidhi has been deposited into bank accounts of 8.5 crore farmers with a single click. Under PM-KISAN scheme, the government is providing annually ₹6,000 in 3 equal instalments. PM-KISAN scheme was launched on 1st December 2018.
3. PM Narendra Modi Launches ₹ 1 Lakh Crore Agriculture Infrastructure Fund
PM Modi launched a financing facility of ₹1 lakh crore under Agriculture Infrastructure Fund for agri-entrepreneurs, agri-tech players & farmer groups for nurturing farm assets & post-harvest management. The amount will be made available over a period of 4 yrs. Farmers will also receive a subsidy of 3 per cent on interest.
4. Retail inflation rose to 6.93% in July
Retail inflation rose to 6.93% in July mainly on account of higher prices of food items. The food inflation, according to Consumer Price Index data, increased to 9.62% in July. The retail inflation in June was 6.23% while the food inflation stood at 8.72%.
CPI is published by the Central Statistical Office (CSO).
- World Bank sees higher GDP fall in India than 3.2% it projected for FY21 In its report on India Development Update, 2020, World Bank said it was likely to project a steeper contraction in India’s economy than the 3.2 per cent it had forecast
for the current financial year, given the rising number of Covid-19 cases & lockdowns.
The revised projections will be made available in October 2020.
1. Parliamentary panel suggests welfare fund, the national database for migrant workers
All labour laws have been subsumed into four Codes: The Code on Wages, 2019; The Occupational Health, Safety and Working Conditions Code, 2019; The Industrial Relations Code, 2019; and The Code on Social Security, 2019. The committee headed by: BJD MP Bhartruhari Mahtab.
2. Northern Railway runs first-ever Vyapar Mala Express train
Northern Railway ran first-ever Vyapar Mala Express train to help small traders in moving their cargo via Railways in a short time, cost-effective, convenient & environment-friendly mode of transportation. Railways earned more than ₹ 94 Lakhs from this. It will cover a distance of 2,673 km from Punjab to Tripura.
3. Dr Harsh Vardhan launches ‘Vidyarthi Vigyan Manthan 2020-21
Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan launched Vidyarthi Vigyan Manthan 2020-21 which is a national programme for popularizing science among students of Class 6th to 11th. It was designed to identify bright minds with a scientific attitude among the students. He represents Chandni Chowk in Delhi as an MP.
4. Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the upstream carriageway of Mahatma Gandhi bridge
Minister for Road Transport Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the Mahatma Gandhi bridge over river Ganga through video conference. This over 5.5 km four-lane bridge lies at NH-19 between Patna and Hajipur. It is being constructed at a cost of Rs 1742 crore. Chief Minister of Bihar: Nitish Kumar.
5. Narendra Singh Tomar releases booklet on Best Practices in Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme
Union Minister of Rural Development Narendra Singh Tomar released a booklet on “BestPractices in Digital India Land Records Modernization Programme (DILRMP)” of Department of Land Resources based on the presentations made since the inception of the programme. It discusses mechanisms adopted by states for land management.
6. Amit Shah inaugurates international webinar on ‘Lokmanya Tilak – Swaraj to Self-reliant India’ organized by ICCR
Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated 2-day international webinar on the theme ‘Lokmanya Tilak – Swaraj to Self-reliant India’ organized by Indian Council for Cultural Relations on 100th death anniversary of the freedom fighter Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak. Tilak gave the slogan “Swaraj is my birthright and I shall have it”.
7. Central Government to fund 112 startups to promote Agri Firms
Central Govt to spend nearly Rs 12 crore for funding 112 start-ups to promote Agri firms in the current FY. It is to be given to the start-ups selected by different knowledge partners &agribusiness incubators in agro-processing, food tech & value addition. Startups to be trained at 29 agri-business incubation centres.
8. Sanjay Dhotre inaugurates BHARAT AIRFIBER , a last-mile telecom connectivity solution based on Radio Network
Union Minister of State for HRD, Electronics, Communication, and IT, inaugurated “Bharat Air Fibre Services” at Akola in Maharashtra. With the launch of Wireless Bharat
Air Fibre, more connections will be provided on demand in a very quick time. BSNL Chairman and Managing Director, PK Purwar.
9. Ministry of Tourism holds its 44th webinar on “Heritage Tourism in Gujarat” under Dekho Apna Desh series
The state encompasses some sites of the ancient Indus Valley Civilisation, such as Lothal, Dholavira and GolaDhoro. Lothal is believed to be one of the world’s first seaports. Gujarat’s coastal cities, chiefly Bharuch and Khambhat, served as ports. The walled city of Ahmedabad was founded by Sultan Ahmad Shah.
10. IFSCA constitutes panel for development of international retail business in IFSC
The committee will recommend a roadmap for the future growth of international retail business in IFSC. The committee, headed by Indasia Fund Advisors Pvt Ltd Chairman Pradip Shah, may invite industry experts as special invitees on need basis. International Financial Services Centre Authority (IFSCA).
11. PM Modi inaugurates Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra in Delhi’s Raj Ghat
PM Modi inaugurated the Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra, an interactive experience centre on Swachh Bharat Mission & “Gandagi Mukt Bharat” (dirt-free India) campaign on the occasion of centenary celebrations of Gandhiji’s Champaran Satyagraha, at Raj Ghat. Raj Ghat is the memorial of Mahatma Gandhi.
12. India to put import embargo on 101 defence items: Atma Nirbhar Bharat Initiative
Defence Ministry to introduce import embargo on 101 items to boost indigenisation of defence production. Govt intends to reach a turnover of $25 billion through indigenously manufactured defence products and expects to export products worth $5 billion. Minister of State for Defence: Subhash Ramrao Bhamre.
- PM Modi to launch submarine cable connectivity for Andaman & Nicobar PM Modi to inaugurate the submarine Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) connecting Chennai and Port Blair. The submarine cable will also connect Port Blair to Swaraj Dweep
(Havelock), Little Andaman, Car Nicobar, Kamorta, Great Nicobar, Long Island, and
Rangat. Port Blair is the capital of Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Centre Constitutes Panel to fix ceiling rates under RoDTEP scheme The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has constituted a three-member committee to determine the ceiling rates for reimbursement of taxes and
duties to exporters under the Remission of Duties and Taxes on Export Products
(RoDTEP) scheme. Chairman of the committee: G K Pillai, Former Home Secretary.
15. PM Modi inaugurates Rashtriya Swachhata Kendra
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the ‘Rashtriya Swachhata
Kendra’(RSK), an interactive experience centre on the Swachh Bharat Mission, in New Delhi. The prime minister announced a week-long campaign from August 8 to 15 to free India of garbage. RSK was first announced by PM in 2017.
16. Finance Minister launches an online dashboard for National Infrastructure Pipeline
Fin Min Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated National Infrastructure Pipeline (NIP) Online Dashboard. It will be a one-stop solution for all stakeholders looking for information on infrastructure projects in India. It is being hosted on the India Investment Grid NIP includes economic and social infrastructural projects.
17. Education Minister launches Minimum Standards of Architectural Education Regulations, 2020
Union Education Minister launched the “Minimum Standards of Architectural Education Regulations, 2020”. It has been prepared by the experts of the Council of Architecture (CoA) to address major concerns in the human habitat and built environment in India. Union Education Minister: Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
- Narendra Singh Tomar launches ICAR’s data recovery centre ‘Krishi Megh’ Agriculture Minister Tomar launched ICAR’s data recovery centre – Krishi Megh. It is aimed at protecting the data of Indian Council of Agricultural Research. It has been
set up at National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM) in
Hyderabad. It is seen as a step towards Digital Agriculture.
19. NTPC Group achieves 100 BU power generation mark
State-run power giant NTPC has achieved 100 billion units (BU) of cumulative power generation mark during the ongoing fiscal. NTPC Group has a total installed capacity of
62.9 GW. 2600 MW NTPC Korba plant emerged as the top-performing thermal power plant. Korba Thermal Power Station is located in Chhattisgarh.
20. PM Modi to launch platform for Transparent Taxation ‘Honouring the Honest’
Prime Minister Narendra Modi to launch the platform for “Transparent Taxation – Honouring the Honest” via video conferencing. This is to strengthen the efforts of reforming and simplifying the tax system. It aims to benefit several honest taxpayers. Department of Revenue works under the Ministry of Finance.
21. Govt allows registration of Electric Vehicles(EVs) without pre-fitted batteries
In order to bring down prices and increase adoption of EVs, Road Transport and Highways Ministry has allowed registration of electric vehicles without pre-fitted batteries. Battery, a key component in an EV constitutes 30-40% of the total cost of the vehicle. Union Minister for Road & Transport: Nitin Gadkari.
22. Centre Forms Committee For Procurement, Administration Of COVID-19 Vaccine
Centre constituted a committee to consider logistics, ethical aspects of procurement, & administration of COVID-19 vaccine. The committee, National Expert Group on Vaccine Administration is formed under the chairmanship of Dr VK Paul, member of NITI Aayog. Union Health Secretary: Rajesh Bhushan.
- Tribal Affairs Ministry develops nine ‘Tribal Freedom Fighters’ Museums Tribal Affairs Ministry is developing “Tribal Freedom Fighters’ Museums dedicated to the contributions of the tribal people in India to the freedom struggle. Out of the nine,
two are under near completion. All museums to come into existence by 2022. Tribal
Affairs Minister: Arjun Munda. MoS: Renuka Singh Saruta.
24. Rajnath Singh launches Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation
Defence Minister launched Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO). It puts in place dedicated structures for the end-users to interact with academia and industry towards fostering innovation and indigenisation for self-reliance in defence. The NIIO is a three-tiered organisation.
- Indian Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) ‘Sarthak’ launched An offshore patrol vessel for Indian Coast Guard was launched and rechristened as ‘Sarthak’. It is the 4th in the series of five OPVs deployed by the Coast Guard to enhance maritime security. The launching ceremony was held at Goa Shipyard. Director General Indian Coast Guard: K Natarajan. HQ: New Delhi.
- Finance Minister holds 3rd review meeting of CPSEs on CAPEX Sitharaman met with secretaries of ministries of defence, shipping, road transport, housing & urban affairs & the dept of telecommunications, along with the heads of
some PSUs under these ministries to review the capital expenditure in this financial
year. CAPEX target for FY 2020-21 for these 7 CPSEs is Rs. 124825 cr.
27. PM Modi launches National Digital Health Mission; Every Indian to have Health IDs
At a time when India is battling a pandemic, PM Modi has launched the National Digital Health Mission, to revolutionize the health sector, in his address on India’s 74th Independence Day. Under this, every Indian would receive a unique health identity card. All the health details will be registered in this health card.
28. Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment launches ‘Nasha-Mukt Bharat’ campaign in J&K
With an aim to curb the menace of Drug Addiction in the society Directorate of Social Welfare launched ‘Nasha-Mukt Bharat’- Drug-free India campaign of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir. It is being run in 272 districts of India & 10 districts of J&K.
29. All villages to be connected with optical fibre in next 1,000 days
PM Modi in his address on the Independence Day said that in the coming one thousand days, every village in the country will be connected with Optical Fibre Cable (OFC). He also announced a new policy on cybersecurity to be unveiled shortly. Connectivity via submarine OFC to be launched in Lakshadweep.
30. Indian Railways constructing world’s tallest pier bridge across river Ijai
Indian Railways’ North East Frontier Railway zone has constructed the world’s tallest pier bridge in the North-Eastern state of Manipur to provide connectivity. It is constructed across river Ijai near Noney. Its tallest pier height will be of 141 meters.
The total length of the bridge will be 703 meters.
- The government aims to create five crore jobs in MSME sector: Nitin Gadkari Speaking at SWAVALAMBAN E-Summit 2020 organised by ‘Lets Endorse Development’ NGO in Delhi, MSME Minister said that govt will increase MSME exports to 60% from
48% & create 5 crore jobs in the next 5 years. According to him, 11 crore jobs were
created so far. Minister of MSME: Nitin Jairam Gadkari.
32. NTPC develops infrastructure at Rihand project for increased use of fly ash
To transport fly ash to cement plants located at distance, National Thermal Power Corporation developed infrastructure at Rihand project in Uttar Pradesh. This project is in line with NTPC’s commitment towards 100% utilisation of fly ash from power plants. Rihand Power Station is located in Sonbhadra district of UP.
33. Railways to deploy ‘Ninja UAVs’ for surveillance
Indian Railways is deploying Ninja UAVs for establishing a drone-based surveillance system in a bid to intensify its security mechanism across its network. NINJA UAVs are lightweight and economical micro contraptions built for mapping and surveillance. UAV stands for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle.
34. National Recruitment Agency gets Cabinet’s nod. Common Eligibility Test for govt jobs, PSBs
Union Cabinet approved a proposal to set up National Recruitment Agency that will conduct Common Eligibility Test (CET) for selection to non-gazetted posts in the central government and public sector banks. It aims to benefit job seeking youth in India. The scores obtained will be valid for three years.
35. Govt launches Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge
Electronics Minister launched Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge – Innovate Solutions for Atma-Nirbhar Bharat. IIT Madras and Centre for Development of Advanced Computing developed two microprocessors named SHAKTI and VEGA resp using Open Source Architecture Union Electronics and IT Minister: Ravi Shankar Prasad.
36. Harsh Vardhan launches interactive first-of-its-kind video game ‘Corona Fighters’ to spread awareness
Harsh Vardhan launched the first-of-its-kind game on COVID-19, Corona Fighters. It presents a new & creative way to teach people the right tools and behaviours to fight Covid-19. He launched two new videos urging adherence to key COVID Appropriate behaviours. Game is designed to influence payers’ actions in the real world.
- Arjun Munda virtually launches ‘TRIFOOD’ Project in Raigad, Jagdalpur Arjun Munda launched the tertiary processing centres under ‘TRIFOOD’ project at Raigad and Jagdalpur. It aims at enhancing the income of Tribals through better
utilization & value addition to the Minor Forest Produces collected by tribal forest
gatherers. TRIFOOD is being implemented by TRIFED.
38. Central Government constitutes National Council for Transgender Persons
Under section 16 of Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act 2019, National Council for Transgender Persons is constituted. Social Justice and Empowerment Minister to be the ex-officio Chairperson & Minister of State to be ex-officio Vice-Chairperson. MoSJE Minister: Thaawarchand Gehlot. MoS: Krishan Pal Gurjar.
39. Govt announces Tax exemptions for businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs 40 lakh
According to the Ministry of Finance businesses with an annual turnover of up to Rs 40 Lakh are GST exempt. Initially, this limit was Rs 20 Lakh. Additionally, those with a turnover up to Rs 1.5 crore can opt for the Composition Scheme and pay only 1% tax. GST which subsumed 17 local levies was rolled out on July 1 ‘17.
40. India’s longest river ropeway connecting Guwahati and North Guwahati over Brahmaputra river inaugurated
India’s longest river ropeway connecting north and south banks of Brahmaputra river was inaugurated in Guwahati. The 2-km long ropeway built at a cost of Rs 56 crore is for the first time ropeway towers were made deep inside the bed of India’s major river. The travel time b/w both banks to be reduced to just 8 minutes.
41. Government launches ‘Open API Service’ in Aarogya Setu app
The team handling Aarogya Setu has introduced Open API Service to help the people, businesses and the economy to return to normalcy. This can be availed by organisations and business entities, who are registered in India with more than 50 employees. It is the most downloaded contact tracing app in the world.
42. Govt mulls Rs 3,000 crore ‘Mission COVID Suraksha’ to accelerate vaccine
The mission, piloted by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, aims at the mission to make the Covid-19 vaccine easily available to the public at affordable rates. The mission is in a proposal stage. Ministry of Science and Technology, Officeholder: Harsh Vardhan
43. Ministry of Tourism organises the 50th webinar titled “Cultural heritage of Hyderabad” under DekhoApnaDesh series
The webinar showcased the culture of Hyderabad which is quite distinct from the rest of Telangana with its strong Islamic influences inherited from the period of the Nizam rule, which is starkly visible on Hyderabad’s architecture, food, lifestyle. Hyderabad is popularly known as the “City of Pearls”.
44. DoPPW to integrate e- Pension Payment Order with Digi Locker
It will create a permanent record of their PPO in their Digi Locker and at the same time eliminate delays in reaching the PPO to new Pensioners, as well as the necessity of handing over a physical copy. The facility has been created with Bhavisya Software. Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare, DoPPW.
45. Centre to develop three Bamboo Clusters in Jammu, Katra and Samba areas of J&K
Minister of Development of NE-Region, Dr Jitendra Singh said that 3 Bamboo Clusters will be developed in Jammu, Katra & Samba areas for making of Bamboo basketry, Agarbatti & Bamboo Charcol that will provide direct employment to nearly 25000 people. Mega Bamboo Industrial Park at Ghati near Jammu to also come up.
46. Govt releases Draft Health Data Management Policy for public consultation
The National Health Authority (NHA) has released the Draft Health Data Management Policy of the National Digital Health Mission (NDHM) in the public domain. The NDHM was announced on the occasion of the 74th Independence Day of India. Indu Bhushan, Chief Executive Officer, National Health Authority.
1. Dr Harsh Vardhan chairs session of The Bureau of The Executive Board of WHO
Dr Harsh Vardhan presided over a meeting of the Bureau of the Executive Board as Chairman of the Executive Board of the World Health Organization virtually. The Bureau also includes the Vice-Chairs of the Executive Board and the Director-General of WHO. Parent Organisation of WHO: ECOSOC. HQ: Geneva, Switzerland.
2. ISA amends framework agreement to enable UN member states to join the grouping
According to the Ministry of External Affairs, an amendment to the framework agreement on the establishment of the International Solar Alliance came into force that will enable member states of the UN to join the grouping including those beyond the tropics. Director-General of ISA: Upendra Tripathy. HQ: Gurugram, Haryana
3. ADB signs Dollar 200 million financing deal with Reliance for a power plant in Bangladesh
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $200 million financing deal with Reliance Bangladesh LNG and Power Limited (RBLPL) to build and operate a 718-megawatt combined-cycle gas-fired power plant in Bangladesh. It is to ease ongoing energy shortages. The financing deal has two components of $100 million each.
4. UAE announces operation of first Arab nuclear power plant
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) announced the start-up operations of its first nuclear power plant in capital Abu Dhabi. The project is expected to cover 25 per cent of the country’s energy needs and prevent 21 million tons of carbon emissions each year.
Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE prime minister.
5. SpaceX capsule and NASA crew make the first splashdown in 45 years
Two NASA astronauts returned to Earth in a dramatic, retro-style splashdown, their capsule parachuting into the Gulf of Mexico to close out an unprecedented test flight by Elon Musk’s SpaceX company. SpaceX made history with this mission. Test pilots Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken rode the SpaceX Dragon.
6. Ranil Wickremesinghe to resign from UNP leadership
Sri Lanka’s four-time former PM Ranil Wickremesinghe decided to resign from the
United National Party (UNP) leadership after 26 years at the helm following the party’s crushing defeat in the recent election. He has been leading the party since 1994. Sri Lanka PM: Mahinda Rajapaksa of party SLPP.
7. Lebanon PM Announces Resignation Of Government Over Deadly Beirut Blasts
Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab announced his government’s resignation amid popular outrage over deadly Beirut port explosion that has reignited angry street protests. During a cabinet meeting, several cabinet ministers made it clear they would quit. Beirut blast even drew comparisons from the Hiroshima atom bomb.
- IFC to invest $10 Mn in Endiya Partners Fund II, for product start-ups Endiya Partners Fund II, a city-based venture capital fund has received a commitment of Rs 75 crore from the International Financial Corporation(IFC), a member of the
World Bank Group. It has committed another $10 mn for direct co-investments. IFC
HQ: Washington, USA. CEO: Philippe Le Houérou.
9. Lukashenko wins Belarusian presidential elections
Incumbent Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko won his sixth term with
80.23 per cent of the vote. Lukashenko garnered 80.23 per cent of the vote, while opposition candidate Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, his main rival, won nearly 9.9 per cent. The turnout in the presidential elections was 84.23 per cent.
10. Indian-origin Senator Kamala Harris named US Vice Presidential candidate for Democratic party
In the United States, Democratic Presidential nominee Joe Biden named Indian-origin senator Kamala Harris as his Vice-Presidential running mate. Joe Biden made history by selecting the first black woman to compete on a major party’s presidential ticket. Harris is currently the US Senator from California.
11. Russia has approved the ‘world first’ Covid-19 vaccine
Russian President Vladimir Putin announced the approval of a coronavirus vaccine for use, claiming it as a world first. Developed by the Moscow-based Gamaleya Institute, it has been named Sputnik-V, a reference to the world’s first satellite by the Soviet Union. The vaccine, however, has not completed its final trials.
12. Bangladesh to get largest-ever dollar 3.1 billion loan package from Japan
Japan has signed its largest-ever loan package worth dollar 3.1 billion for Bangladesh. The loan is being provided under Japan’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) for seven projects of Bangladesh under concessional terms. Bangladesh Capital: Dhaka.
Bangladesh PM: Sheikh Hasina. Currency: Bangladeshi taka.
13. US Prez Trump announces a historic peace deal between UAE, Israel to establish full diplomatic relations
US President Donald Trump announced that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Israel have agreed to establish full diplomatic relations as part of a new peace deal. Under the agreement, Israel would suspend its plans to annex parts of the West Bank. The Peace Agreement has been named the Abraham Accord.
14. Israel successfully carries out Arrow-2 interception test
A test of the Arrow 2 interceptor system, part of the Arrow Weapon System, was successfully carried out along with the US Missile Defence Agency (MDA). The advanced system is designed to intercept long-range missiles. Israel Capital: Jerusalem. Moshe Patel – Head of Israel Missile Defence Organization.
15. UK economy falls into recession; GDP in the second quarter collapses by a record 20%
Britain’s economy shrank by a record 20.4% between April and June when the coronavirus lockdown was tightest, the largest contraction reported by any major economy so far. It has also entered recession as the economy shrank for a second quarter in a row. However, as a sign of recovery, the GDP grew by 8.7% in June.
- US to sell 66 F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan amid soaring tensions with China Taiwan signed an agreement to buy 66 latest model F-16 jets built by Lockheed Martin Corp. a move likely to further inflame tensions between the US & China. The purchase
marks the first sale of advanced fighter jets since WB Bush announced the approval in
1992 In addition to Taiwan, Morocco is buying 24 F-16s jets.
17. UAE connects first Arab nuclear plant to the power grid
UAE has announced that it connected its Barakah Nuclear Power Plant to the national grid in a first for the Arab world. The milestone follows the successful start-up
of the plant’s first reactor to meet 25% of its electricity needs from nuclear power.
UAE is 3rd largest oil-producing in the OPEC.
- Mali President Ibrahim Boubacar Kita resigns amid military coup Mali’s President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita resigned hours after soldiers (National Committee for the Salvation of the People) seized him as part of a coup following
months of mass protests against alleged corruption and worsening security in the
country. Mali Capital: Bamako. Currency: West African CFA Franc.
19. India, Japan, and Australia to launch ‘Supply Chain Resilience Initiative’
to counter China
Japan, India & Australia are seeking to build stronger supply chains to counter China’s dominance. The intensifying US-China conflict and worsening diplomatic relations are forcing companies to consider whether they can continue to do business in China.
Capitals: Japan- Tokyo, Australia- Canberra, China- Beijing.
20. China launches new optical remote-sensing satellite
China launched an optical remote-sensing satellite named Gaofen-9 05 from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre. It was sent into orbit by Long March-2D carrier rocket. A multifunctional test satellite and another satellite named Tiantuo-5 were also launched. It was 343rd mission of the Long March rocket series.
21. World Health Organization declares Africa free of polio
World Health Organization has declared Africa free of polio, a landmark in a decades-long campaign to eradicate the notorious disease around the world. This was announced by WHO Regional Director of Africa, Dr Matshidiso Moeti. World Health Organization HQs-Geneva, Switzerland.
- India co-sponsors UN security council resolution on women peacekeepers India has co-sponsored a security council resolution that calls for full, effective & meaningful participation of women personnel in peacekeeping operations which was
put forth by Indonesia. India is one of the largest troop contributors to UN
peacekeeping India is a non-permanent member of the UNSC for a two-year term.
23. Shinzo Abe, Japan’s longest-serving Prime Minister, quits
Japanese PM Shinzo Abe has announced his resignation for health reasons. The 65- year-old has suffered for many years from ulcerative colitis. Last year, he became Japan’s longest serving prime minister. His current period in office began in 2012. His aggressive economic policy is known as “Abenomics”.
24. Togo first in Africa to end sleeping sickness
Togo has become the first country in Africa to eliminate human African Trypanosomiasis or sleeping sickness, a disease caused by parasites transmitted through infected tsetse flies. The World Health Organization (WHO) certified. Lome is the capital of Togo. Togo did not report any cases in the past 10 years
25. NASA maps trace causes of global mangrove habitat loss
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has created the first map of the causes of change in global mangrove habitats between 2000 and 2016. The team used high-resolution data from the joint NASA-US Geological Survey Landsat program. NASA Founder, Dwight D. Eisenhower.
1. Telangana launches iMASQ mobile COVID-19 testing centres
Telangana gov. rolled out mobile COVID-19 testing centres in containment zones and low-income group residential areas across the state. Buses are built with ‘Intelligent Monitoring Analysis Services Quarantine’(iMASQ) technology by Vera Smart Healthcare. Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao.
2. AP govt ties up with ITC HUL and P&G for women’s economic empowerment
The Andhra Pradesh government signed a pact with three FMCG companies -Hindustan Unilever Ltd (HUL), ITC and Procter and Gamble (P&G) -for marketing and technology support for economic empowerment of women under two new schemes. HUL Chairman and Managing Director Sanjiv Mehta.
3. India’s tourism ministry inaugurates Thenzawl Golf Resort project in Mizoram
The Project was sanctioned under the Integrated Development of New Eco-Tourism under Swadesh Darshan- North East Circuit at Thenzawl & South Zote, District Serchhip and Reiek, Mizoram with a sanctioned amount of Rs.92.25 Crores. Union Min. of State for Culture & Tourism, Prahlad Singh Patel.
4. I&B Minister Prakash Javadekar launches DD Assam 24×7 channel through video conferencing
Assam and North Eastern Region is so full of natural diversity and cultural richness and yet it carries the thread of unity. DD Assam will help in taking messages, initiatives and programmes of the government to the grassroots”
CEO of Prasar Bharati, Shashi Shekhar Vempati.
5. Uttarakhand to develop India’s first snow leopard conservation centre Uttarakhand along with UN Development Programme is all set to develop
India’s 1st Snow Leopard Conservation Centre in Uttarkashi forests. The prime
goals of setting up this centre are conservation, restoration of Himalayan ecosystems & creating livelihood. Uttarakhand CM- Trivendra Singh Rawat.
6. Maharashtra announces partnership with Google for introducing digital education tools in schools
Maharashtra has announced a partnership with Google for introducing digital education tools in schools. It will enable 2.3 crore students & teachers to access Google’s blended learning programmes that combine classroom approach with online learning. Maharashtra Chief Minister- Uddhav Thackeray.
7. Gujarat announces Industrial Policy 2020, in line with Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan
Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani announced State’s Industrial Policy 2020 divided in 15 thrust areas in core sectors and sunrise sectors. Core sectors- Electrical machinery & equipment, Industrial Machinery & equipment, Auto etc. Sunrise Sectors: Electric Vehicle & components, Waste managing.
8. Flipkart Signs MoU With UP Govt’s One District, One Product (ODOP) Scheme
The initiative called ‘Flipkart Samarth’ will enable them to break entry barriers by extending time-bound incubation support which includes benefits in the form of on-
boarding, free cataloguing, marketing, account management, business insights etc. Rajneesh Kumar, Chief Corporate Affairs Officer at Flipkart.
9. Meghalaya approves policy on seat reservation for women in village employment councils
Meghalaya approved Policy on Reservation of seats for Women in Village Employment Councils (VECs). It brought policy of reserving at least 50% seats for women in grassroots VECs which are apolitical organisations formed for implementation of MGNREGA works. Meghalaya CM: Conrad K. Sangma. Governor: Tathagata Roy.
10. Khadi’s first silk training-cum-production centre to come up in Arunachal soon
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is set to open the first-of-its-kind training-cum-production centre of silk in a far-flung tribal village of Chullyu in Arunachal Pradesh in the first week of September. It is a first of its kind in the state. KVIC Chairman: Vinai Kumar Saxena. Head Office: Mumbai.
11. Railway Museum Inaugurated in Hubballi
Railways Minister Piyush Goyal & Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi dedicated Railway Museum at Hubballi in North Karnataka. This Rail Museum is first of its kind in North Karnataka and second in South Western Railway after historic Mysuru Rail Museum at Mysuru. Minister of State of Railways: Suresh C Angadi.
12. Jagdalpur: First Municipal Corporation To Provide Forestland Right Certificates To People Of Urban Area
Chhattisgarh’s Jagdalpur became the first municipal corporation in India where people of an urban area have been provided forest land right certificates. Jagdalpur is among the few municipal corporations, jurisdiction areas of which includes forestlands.
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel.
13. Chhattisgarh CM Launches Indira Van Mitan Yojana
On the occasion of World Tribal Day, Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel announced the launch of Indira Van Mitan Yojana to make forest dwellers in the state, self-reliant. The scheme aims to add 19 lakh farmers from scheduled areas at a cost of Rs 10 Lakh. Chhattisgarh Capital: Raipur. Governor: Anusuiya Uikey.
14. Andhra Govt Signs MoU With US-Based IT Firm To Setup Centre At Visakhapatnam
Andhra government signed an MoU with Boston Group to set up a facility devoted to research and development in IT sector with a focus on learning platforms and leveraging advanced technologies like artificial intelligence, machine learning and cybersecurity.
Andhra Pradesh CM: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy.
15. Khattar launches an anti-bullying campaign of Faridabad police
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched an anti-bullying campaign of Faridabad police by unveiling its Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages to flag the problem of bullying at home, in neighbourhood, schools, colleges and workplace. It is a part of ‘Teen Age Police’ programme of Faridabad police.
16. IIT-Delhi, Bihar State Pollution Control Board sign MoU
In the backdrop of the Centre’s National Clean Air Programme, the Bihar State Pollution Control Board (BSPCB) has signed a memorandum of understanding with IIT- Delhi to set up a geographical information system-based platform for air quality management. BSPCB chairman Ashok Kumar Ghosh.
17. Mumbai’s Dadar becomes the first city to have female icons on traffic signals
In a bid to promote gender inclusivity, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) installed traffic signals that display female icons sporting triangular frock, a shift from default representation of men. Mumbai has become the first city in India to do so.
Countries like Germany, Australia and Vienna have female icons.
- Gujarat Launches New Scheme To Compensate Farmers For Crop Loss The Gujarat government launched a scheme, ‘Mukhya Mantri Kisan Sahay Yojana’ under which farmers facing crop losses due to drought, excess rain or rain to get
compensation without the collection of any premium from them. It replaces PM
Fasal Bima Yojana. It has been launched for FY 2020 – 21 only.
19. PFC to construct Modular Operation Theatres at District Hospital in Uttar Pradesh
Government-owned Power Finance Corporation Ltd (PFC), an NBFC signed a Memorandum of Association (MoA) with District Administration of Siddharthnagar in Uttar Pradesh for construction of two Modular Operation Theatre Rooms in the District Hospital. PFC to provide ₹ 94 Lakhs for execution via CSR initiative.
20. Assam govt to roll out Arunodoi scheme to provide financial assistance to around 17 lakh families from Oct 2
With an aim to provide financial assistance to around 17 lakh families, the Assam government to launch Arunodoi scheme from the 2nd of October. Under this scheme an amount of Rs 830 to be given to eligible families per month to buy essential food items. It will be the largest DBT Scheme in Assam.
21. Karnataka keen to set up an immunology research centre
Karnataka is keen to establish immunology & vaccine research centre in Bengaluru, the capital of Karnataka, in partnership with the Emory Vaccine Centre of Atlanta University in view of the sector’s gaining importance in the context of COVID-19 pandemic. Karnataka CM: BS Yeddyurappa.
22. HP govt launches Nutritional Immunity Boosting ‘Him Haldi Dudh’
Himachal Pradesh state government launched Nutritional Immunity Boosting ‘Him Haldi Dudh(Turmeric Latte)’ manufactured by MILKFED. Him Haldi Dudh has been developed by the Biotechnology Department of Punjabi University Patiala and has been patented. Himachal Pradesh CM: Jai Ram Thakur.
23. UNESCO recognises two coastal villages of Odisha as Tsunami Ready
In a first, two coastal villages of Odisha have been recognised as being “Tsunami Ready” by UNESCO for their overall preparedness to face the calamity. With this, India became the first country in the Indian Ocean Region to achieve this honour. 2 Villages: Venkatraipur in Ganjam & Noliasahi in Jagatsinghpur.
24. Price Monitoring and Resource Unit set up in Karnataka
A Price Monitoring and Resource Unit (PMRU) is set up in Karnataka under the aegis of the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA). It will function at the state level under the direct supervision of the state drug controller increasing its outreach. NPPA Chairman: Shubhra Singh.
25. AP CM Jaganmohan Reddy launches YSR Cheyutha scheme
Andhra Pradesh CM YS Jaganmohan Reddy launched the YSR Cheyutha scheme to empower socio-economically deprived women, by ushering them into entrepreneurship and helping them build strong and rewarding businesses. It aims to benefit 23 Lakh women. Andhra Pradesh Governor: Biswabhusan Harichandan.
26. Punjab Chief Minister launches Rs 92 crore Smart Connect Scheme
The Punjab Government took a digital leap with the state-wide launch of its Rs 92 crore Punjab Smart Connect Scheme. Chief Minister Capt. Amarinder Singh personally handed over smartphones to six Class XII students in a symbolic gesture. Governor:
- P. Singh Badnore.
27. Goa Govt Signs Agreement For German Vocational Training In ITIs
Goa government signed a tri-partite agreement to carry out German dual vocational education & training in 10 Industrial Training Institutes of the state. It hopes to
address the need for training and enabling India’s youth for employment &
entrepreneurship. Goa CM: Pramod Sawant. Governor: Satya Pal Malik.
28. West Bengal Govt Launches Scheme To Provide Soft Loans, Subsidies To Youth
The West Bengal government launched Karma Sathi Prakalpa scheme under which one lakh unemployed youth would be provided soft loans and subsidies to make them self- reliant. It was launched on the occasion of International Youth Day celebrated on August 12. West Bengal CM: Mamata Banerjee. Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar.
29. TERI launches flood and heavy rain warning system for Guwahati, in collaboration with NDMA
The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) & National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) have launched a Flood Early Warning System (FEWS), a fully automated web-based tool for Guwahati to alert local authorities about flash floods and/or heavy rainfall. The Energy and Resources Institute HQ: New Delhi.
30. Delhi govt inked MoU with Bloomberg Philanthropies to enhance road safety
The Delhi government’s Transport Department, in a bid to enhance road safety in the national capital, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with prestigious Bloomberg Philanthropies, joining 30 world cities in the initiative for global road safety. Bloomberg Philanthropies HQ: New York, USA.
31. Telangana launches AI for Agri innovation programme
The Telangana government launched the Artificial Intelligence for Agricultural Innovation (AI4AI) programme in collaboration with the Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution, India (C4IR), World Economic Forum to identify high impact use cases of AI. Telangana declared 2020 as Year of AI to accelerate development.
32. Arunachal Pradesh launches Challenge Entrepreneurship Programme
Arunachal Pradesh CM Pema Khandu launched the Entrepreneurship Development Programme that seeks to support and encourage local youths to become job creators than job seekers and thereby solve the state’s problems by applying their skills and innovation. Arunachal Pradesh Capital: Itanagar. Governor: B. D. Mishra.
33. Gujarat High Court launches e-filing of cases
Gujarat high court launched e-filing of cases and an online facility to check the status of cases. Chief Justice launched these services on Independence Day. He also directed five exclusive counters for physical case filing amid Covid-19. Chief Justice of Gujarat Hugh Court: Vikram Nath.
34. Meghalaya govt. plans to launch ‘Restart Meghalaya Mission’
A ‘Restart Meghalaya Mission’ was launched by CM Conrad K Sangma on the occasion of Independence Day. This mission comprises a series of programs to support our farmers, and entrepreneurs and to build growth-promoting basic infrastructure and services. Meghalaya Capital: Shillong. Governor: Tathagata Roy.
35. Odisha bags 1st position in AMRUT scheme
Odisha continued to be the top performer, scoring 85.67% in implementation of Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation Scheme (AMRUT) by making significant strides in providing piped water supply to households in urban areas of the State. Odisha CM: Naveen Patnaik. Governor: Ganeshi Lal.
- Nagaland launches ‘Yellow Chain’ – centralised e-commerce platform Nagaland launched “Yellow Chain”- an e-commerce platform to promote local business & entrepreneurship in the state. It will be an integrated platform where any Seller can
register and upload their products. to enable buyers to have access to the product.
Nagaland CM: Neiphiu Rio. Governor: RN Ravi. Capital: Kohima.
37. Chhattisgarh CM announces scheme for school students: Padhai Tuhar Para
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel announced the launch of a special scheme, Padhai Tuhar Para, under which school students will be able to learn in their respective localities in view of the suspension of classes due to the Coronavirus outbreak. The scheme aims to benefit around 22 lakh children.
38. Chhattisgarh CM announces fund for a contribution towards Ram Van Gaman project
Chhattisgarh to create a dedicated fund, Ram Van Gaman Paryatan Paripath Vikas Kosh for contributions from people towards the development of state government’s ‘Ram Van Gaman Tourist Circuit’ project. 9 sites are selected in the 1st phase of the project. Chhattisgarh CM: Bhupesh Baghel. Governor: Anusuiya Uikey.
39. Gwalior-Chambal Expressway to be named after Atal Bihari Vajpayee
The Gwalior-Chambal Expressway to be named Atal Bihari Vajpayee Chambal. The announcement was made by Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan while paying tribute to the former Prime Minister on his second death anniversary. Madhya Pradesh Capital: Bhopal.
40. NPCI and Canara Bank ties up with AP Govt to empower over 15,004 village secretariats with UPI
To promote financial inclusion & provide access to digital payments, Andhra Pradesh Govt tied-up with retail payments body National Payments Corporation of India & Canara Bank to set-up UPI payment facilities for over 15,000 village secretariats and wards. Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh: Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy.
- ADB approves $1 billion loans for construction of Delhi-Meerut RRTS Asian Development Bank approved a $1 billion loan to support the construction of the modern, high-speed Delhi–Meerut Regional Rapid Transit System. It will be
implemented in four tranches between August 2020 and May 2025. Total project cost:
$3.94 billion. Government of India to provide $ 1.89 billion.
42. All state govt jobs reserved for state residents in MP
Madhya Pradesh Government decided to provide government jobs only to the residents of the state & necessary legal provisions to be made. The government to also devise a mechanism to ensure employment to youths on the basis of their 10th & 12th mark sheets. Madhya Pradesh CM: Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
43. New Electronics Manufacturing Policy announced in UP
In a bid to support PM’s vision of achieving ZERO import of electronics goods, UP govt announced Electronics Manufacturing Policy 2020. The policy aims at inviting investment of Rs 40,000 Crore in the next five years and generate four lakh direct employment. The new policy will be valid for five years.
44. MP govt to provide poor people Rs. one per kg wheat, rice, salt from Sept 1
Madhya Pradesh CM announced Re1 per kg wheat, rice & salt for as many as 37 lakh such poor people across the state not covered under the national food security scheme. Apart from this 5 kg per person free ration to be provided to poor families by November. Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
45. J&K govt publishes its work done under ‘Back to Village (B2V)’
In a first of its kind, the government of Jammu & Kashmir published its work done under Back to Village (B2V) programme. All 1930 projects finished during the financial year 2019-20 have been showcased in an e-book recently released by the Finance department. B2V is a public outreach programme that was launched in 2019.
46. Tamil Nadu govt launches post-COVID-19 follow up clinic in Chennai
The Tamil Nadu Health Department has launched the Post-COVID-19 Follow-Up Clinic in Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital (RGGGH), Chennai. It is exclusively for those who recovered from the viral infection and later suffer from other diseases.
Health Minister of Tamil Nadu: C. Vijaya Baskar.
47. Home Ministry approves renaming of Manduadih railway station in UP as Banaras
Home Ministry approved the renaming of Manduadih railway station in UP as Banaras. Home Ministry gives its approval to any proposal for change of name of a place after taking no-objections from Ministry of Railways, Department of Posts and Survey of India. The station is located in Varanasi District of Uttar Pradesh.
48. Jharkhand unveils new logo
Jharkhand unveiled a new logo which is circular in size with the Emblem of India representing cooperative federalism placed at the centre. The logo is encircled with green colour, which depicts the greenery of the state and symbolizes happiness and prosperity. Jharkhand CM: Hemant Soren. Governor: Draupadi Murmu.
49. Chandigarh administration launches new website
Environment Information System (ENVIS) of the Department of Environment of Chandigarh Administration has launched a new website. The website which has been developed on the latest technologies is designed as per guidelines issued by the Central Government. Chandigarh is the capital of Punjab and Haryana.
- ‘Dhanwantari Rath’ to bring Ayurveda at doorsteps of Delhi Police families A MoU was signed between the All India Institute of Ayurveda & Delhi Police for extending ayurvedic mode of preventive health services in the residential colonies of
the force. Services will be provided through a mobile unit named ‘Dhanwantari Rath’.
The initiative is supported by the AYUSH ministry.
51. Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot launches Indira Rasoi Yojana
Former CM Vasundhara Raje had initially launched the Annapurna Rasoi Yojana in December 2016 which, as per the Gehlot government, ‘expired’ on 2020 March 31 and hence a fresh scheme has been launched. The scheme was launched to mark
‘Sadbhavana Diwas’. Aim: To provide subsidised meals to the needy at Rs 8 per plate.
52. Odisha introduces a scheme to promote bio-floc fish farming technology
Fisheries & Animal Resources Department of Odisha Govt rolled out a new scheme to promote intensive Aquaculture through bio-floc technology in fisheries. It aims to support fish farmers & young entrepreneurs for the generation of income and livelihood support. Odisha Capital: Bhubaneswar. Governor: Ganeshi Lal.
53. Delhi government launches campaign for registration of construction workers
Delhi government to hold Niraman Mazdoor Registration Abhiyan, a mega campaign for registration of construction labourers. It is a 15-day campaign for registration of construction workers in all 70 assembly constituencies. It will take place till Sep 11. Government to set up camps at 70 schools for registration.
54. Kerala’s first-ever Dragonfly Festival to be held soon
WWF-India State unit joined hands with Society for Odonate Studies (SOS) and Thumbipuranam for the first-ever State Dragonfly Festival in Kerala, christened Thumbi Mahotsavam2020. Dragonfly backyard watch is announced to enhance the participation of people. Pantalla is the official mascot of the festival.
55. Karnataka to be the first state to implement NEP: Deputy Chief Minister Ashwath Narayan
“A high-level task force was constituted immediately after the draft of the policy reached us and this committee has already held several meetings”. The administrative and legal steps would be taken as soon as the final recommendations are made.
Karnataka, Literacy (2011)-75.36%.
56. IHM Srinagar and IHM Chennai organize online programme ‘Fascinating Folk Dances of Tamil Nadu, Jammu & Kashmir, & Ladakh’
To foster the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat, The students performed in remote and recorded the performance and shared the video online. The performances were broadcasted using an online platform and a speech was given by the Nodal Officer.
Dumhal Dance is one of the folk dances of Jammu and Kashmir.
57. Armed Forces Special Powers Act Extended For 6 Months In Assam
The state has been declared a “disturbed area” on account of recent insurgent attacks on security forces in the Northeast and recovery of illegal arms and ammunition from different areas of Assam, an official statement said. The AFSPA has been continuing in Assam since November 1990.
- AP sets up an entity to finance social-economic development projects Andhra Pradesh’s government established the AP State Development Corporation (APSDC), a new avenue to borrow more money and channelize donations from
different sources. The new entity will be a 100 per cent state-owned Public Limited
Company. Y. S.Jaganmohan Reddy, current Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh.
59. Delhi government launches a fitness channel on YouTube for students stuck at home
Delhi government launched ‘Healthy Body, Healthy Mind’ campaign for students confined to their homes as schools remain closed in view of Coronavirus pandemic. A the video will be uploaded which the students can practice for the week. Anil Baijal is the 21st Lieutenant Governor of Delhi.
60. Karnataka CM flags off RO-RO train service between Bengaluru and Solapur
Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa flagged off Roll-On/Roll-Off (RO-RO) train between Bengaluru (Nelamangala) to Solapur (Maharashtra) through video conferencing. CM Yediyurappa flagged off the RO-RO train from Nelamagala station. RO-RO service reduces accidents on the road, improves safety.
61. Marine ambulances flagged off for Kochi, Kozhikode
Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan flagged off Prateeksha, the first of a fleet of 3 marine ambulance vessels built by Cochin Shipyard for the Fisheries Department, through video conferencing. They will be based in Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi & Kozhikode. Kerala Tourism tagline: ‘God’s Own Country’.
62. IT Minister launches wireless BSNL Bharat AirFibre for rural areas in Bihar
Union Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad inaugurated a next-generation network telephone exchange at New Bihar Vidhan Mandal compound and Bharat Air Fibre service at Danapur Telephone Exchange in Bihar through video conferencing from New Delhi. Bharat AirFibre will start its subscription at Rs 349 per month.
63. Police, Central cadre under J&K Lieutenant Governor
According to the transaction of business rules, “police, public order, All India Services & anti-corruption,” will fall under the executive functions of the LG, implying that the CMs or the Council of Ministers will have no say in their functioning. The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) notified new rules.
64. J&K: Lt Guv e-inaugurates Panel Discussion on ‘COVID-19: Challenges and Effective Management’
The digital event was organized to observe the 105th Jayanthi Celebrations of Jagadguru Dr. Sri Shivaratri Rajendra Mahaswamiji, the 23rd Pontiff of the Matha in the 20th Century. He was the visionary amongst the great lineage of seers of the Matha. The first pontiff of the matha was Shri Narayana Theertharu.
65. Rs 601.12 crore annual action plan approved for PMKSY in J&K
The Committee approved Rs. 601.12 crore annual action plan of PMKSY for the year 2020-21. It lays emphasis on various components under the schemes Per Drop More Crop (PDMC), Har Khet Ko Paani (HKKP), Integrated Watershed Management Plan (IWMP) and AIBP. Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP).
66. First newspaper for kids ‘The Young Minds’ launched in Assam
Two Guwahati-based women entrepreneurs have launched a newspaper specifically designed for kids, to promote creative thinking among children and inculcate in them the habit to read and write. It is the brainchild of Neelam Sethia and Neha Bajaj, The Young Minds, will cater to kids of 4-14 years of age.
1. NSNIS Patiala and CSS-SRIHER Chennai launch courses in sports physiotherapy, sports nutrition
These courses are aimed at training professionals who can work along with community coaches and development-level coaches to use sports science in grassroots-level training. The six-month course will be taught online. Director of CSS-SRIHER, Professor Arunmugam.
2. Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju chairs 1st General Council meeting of Khelo India Scheme
He urged the states to organize State-level Khelo India Games annually with an effort to identify a larger number of grassroots-level & spoke of the 5 zonal talent scouting committees that are being planned for east, west, north, south & north east India.
Khelo India Programme was launched in the year 2018.
3. India retains T20 World Cup in 2021, Australia to host in 2022
India has retained the rights to host the 2021 men’s T20 World Cup while Australia will host the 2022 edition. ICC also postponed the 2021 women’s ODI World Cup which was scheduled in New Zealand. 2021 event will be hosted in India b/w October-November. ICC Chairman: Manu Sawhney.
4. Owen Coyle named as head coach for Jamshedpur FC
Indian Super League side Jamshedpur FC has confirmed the appointment of Owen Coyle as their new head coach ahead of their 2020-’21 campaign. Coyle was in charge of Chennaiyin FC during the 2019-’20 ISL season. Pittsburgh of India: Jamshedpur.
5. PCA names Mullanpur stadium after Patiala’s last ruler Maharaja Yadavindra Singh
Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) has decided to name its Mullanpur International Cricket Stadium after the last ruler of Patiala, late Maharaja Yadavindra Singh, who had played a test match for India in 1934. He is the father of Punjab CM Amarinder Singh. Second sports facility to be named after Patiala’s family.
6. Indian umpire KN Anantha Padmanabhan included in ICC’s panel
India’s KN Anantha Padmanabhan has been included in ICC’s international panel of umpires. He joins fellow Indians C Shamsuddin, Anil Chaudhary and Virender Sharma in the panel and is eligible to officiate in ODI, T20 internationals an in junior World Cup. He has officiated all major domestic events including IPL.
7. Max Verstappen wins 70th Anniversary Grand Prix 2020
Max Verstappen becomes the 1st non-Mercedes driver to win a race in 2020, the Red Bull racer winning out in the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix from the Mercedes pairing of Lewis Hamilton & polesitter Valtteri Bottas after an incredible display at Silverstone.
The 70th Anniversary Grand Prix was held at Silverstone, UK.
8. Cristiano Ronaldo wins Juventus’ MVP of the Year award
Cristiano Ronaldo was named as Juventus’ ‘Most Valuable Player of the Year’ for the championship that lasted for almost 11 months. He ended the 2019-20 season with 37 goals, broke the record for scoring most goals in a single season across competitions. He played for Juventus for four years.
9. Sports Ministry to organise ‘Fit India Freedom Run’ from Aug 15- Oct 2
Sports Ministry organises the largest country-wide run, Fit India Freedom Run from Aug 15 till 2nd of October. The government has decided to encourage participants of
the event to run at their own pace – anywhere and at any time of their convenience.
The motto of the ‘Freedom Run’ is to encourage fitness.
10. MS Dhoni announces retirement from international cricket
MS Dhoni, the former captain of the Indian cricket team, has announced his retirement from international cricket, bringing down curtains on a near 16-year-long storied career of one of the country’s greatest limited-overs cricketers. He overtook Ganguly as India’s most successful captain.
11. Suresh Raina follows Dhoni into retirement
Suresh Raina announced his retirement from international cricket, a few minutes after his team-mate MS Dhoni announced his retirement. A member of India’s 2011 World Cup-winning squad Raina featured in 18 Tests and 226 ODIs, apart from playing in 78 T20IS. Raina made his ODI debut against Sri Lanka in 2005.
12. Lewis Hamilton sets another record with a Spanish GP win
Lewis Hamilton claimed his 88th Formula One career victory and with it, an outright record 156th podium finish as he drove his Mercedes to a victory in the Spanish Grand Prix. It was the world championship leader and six-time champion’s fifth win in Spain. Max Verstappen & Valtteri Bottas came 2nd and 3rd respectively.
13. AIFF, SAI join hands to launch E-Pathshala
All-India Football Federation & Sports Authority of India joined hands to launch E- Pathshala, a web platform to recognise the creativity and develop an interest in football. It will act to develop an interest in football through painting, building blocks, etc., AIFF HQ: Delhi. President: Praful Patel.
14. Dream11 is ready for the next level with IPL winning bid
Fantasy gaming platform Dream11 won the IPL title sponsorship rights with a bid of Rs 222 crore, replacing Chinese mobile phone company Vivo for a four and a half month deal. Dream11 has been one of the IPL sponsors for a couple of years now. Byju’s (Rs 201 cr), Unacademy (Rs 170 cr) came 2nd & 3rd resp.
15. Hockey India to provide financial aid to 61 unemployed players
Hockey India (HI) announced financial assistance for 61 unemployed players, including 34 women amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, to help them return to sporting activities. Under the initiative, each player will be provided with a sum of Rs 10,000.
Officiating President of HI: Gyanendro Ningombam.
16. England World Cup winner Laura Marsh retires
England’s spinner Laura Marsh retired from all forms of cricket. She was a key member of the England Women’s team that won the 2017 World Cup and played in 103 one-day internationals during her career. She retired from international cricket in December. She made her debut for the Kent Women’s team in 2003.
17. All India Football Federation signs MoU with IPSO to conduct online scouting workshops in India
As per the agreement, information required for scouting and analysis will be provided to the attendees and arrangements of high-quality courses and webinars will be made. The first of these online workshops are set to take place from September 7 to 11.
IPSO: International Professional Scouting Organisation.
18. ICC Hall of Fame 2020: Jacques Kallis, Lisa Sthalekar and Zaheer Abbas inducted
Kallis is one of South Africa’s highest run-getter in Tests & ODIs. He is also a great all-rounder. Sthalekar is a former Australian cricketer and became a World Cup winner in 2005 and 2013. Abbas is the only Asian batsman to hit 100 first-class centuries. The ICC Hall of fame was first introduced in the year 2009.
- Bayern Munich beat Paris Saint-Germain to win UEFA Champions League German giants Bayern Munich have won the UEFA Champions League for the sixth time in the club’s history after beating French side Paris Saint-Germain 1-0 at the final
in Portugal’s capital, Lisbon. Paris Saint-Germain reached finals for the first time. UEFA
– Union of European Football Associations.
20. First female golfer from Germany Sophia Popov wins Women’s British
Sophia Popov became the first female golfer from Germany to capture a major title when she won the Women’s British Open by two strokes. Ranked No. 304, Popov had never won a senior professional event. This was just Popov’s fourth appearance at a major. British Open is a major championship in professional golf.
21. President Ram Nath Kovind honours 74 sportspersons with National Sports and Adventure Awards
President Ram Nath Kovind virtually conferred the National Sports & Adventure Award 2020 namely- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award, Dronacharya Award, Dhyan Chand Award, Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award & Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar. Twenty-seven sportspersons were honoured with the Arjuna Award.
22. FIDE Online Olympiad: India and Russia joint winners after tech failure
After India lodged an official appeal against the result, the world chess body announced that FIDE President Arkady Dvorkovich had made a decision to give gold medals to both teams. India No. 2 Grandmaster Vidit Gujarati was Captain of the Indian Team. FIDE Headquarters, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- SIDBI and TransUnion CIBIL launch knowledge platform MSMESaksham Platform aims to guide MSMEs across their credit lifecycle, from availing credit to start & grow their businesses, managing credit lines to sustain & build structural strength of
the business, & also ensuring timely closures & renewals of credit facilities.
Mohammad Mustafa, IAS & CMD of SIDBI.
2. Reliance Power, JERA sign loan deed for full financing of gas-fired thermal power project in B’desh
The project company has now signed a loan agreement for full financing totalling $642 million with a group of banks that includes the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC). The project company agreed an EPC contract with Samsung C&T in July 2020. Anil D. Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Power.
3. Khadi and Village Industries Commission signs MoU to supply mustard oil to ITBP
The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) headquartered in Mumbai has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to supply mustard oil to ITBP. This development is seen as another major step towards making India Atma-Nirbhar.
Chairperson of KVIC: Vinai Kumar Saxena. Ministry: MoMSME.
4. Bangladesh to construct modern food storage system with USD 202 million World Bank financial support
World Bank has approved a dollar 202 million additional financings for the modern food storage facilities project in Bangladesh. The financing will help increase the storage
capacity of Bangladesh’s grain reserves by 5.35 lakh tons for 4.5 million houses. World Bank team leader for the project Christian Berger.
5. IIT Kanpur, Defence Ministry Join Hands For ‘Predictive Analysis Of Public Grievances’
The project aims at developing the predictive models which can analyse the cause of grievances, provide insights into the nature of grievances, infer any Spatio-temporal trends in the data and predict the quality or severity or sentiment of the grievances. Minister of State for Personnel Dr Jitendra Singh.
6. SBM Bank collaborates with InstaReM to enhance outbound remittance
SBM Bank India has partnered with InstaReM, the consumer and SME brand under global fintech platform Nium, to improve existing outbound remittance service offerings from India, including the introduction of new remittance corridors among others. State Bank of Mauritius (SBM), is a bank in Mauritius.
7. Airtel and AWS join hands to accelerate the digital transformation of businesses in India
Bharti Airtel announced a multi-year, Strategic Collaboration Agreement (SCA) with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to deliver a comprehensive set of innovative cloud solutions to large enterprise and small and medium enterprise (SME) customers in India. Andrew R. Jassy, CEO of Amazon Web Services.
8. NHAI partners with IIT Delhi to set up a CoE for Use of Artificial Intelligence
IIT-Delhi will set-up a Centre of Excellence on Advanced-Data Management System for Highways at its campus as a result of a partnership with National Highways Authority of India. IIT will work on projects including project management and data management. Chairman, NHAI: Dr Sukhbir Singh Sandhu.
- CSIR, FSSAI sign MoU for collaborative research on food and nutrition FSSAI & CSIR will collaborate towards strengthening the quality assurance of laboratory networks across the country aimed at development & validation of methods
for reliable reporting on quality and safety of food products. Health Minister: Dr Harsh
10. BSE join hands with bullion trade associations to deepen commodity derivatives market
Leading Stock Exchange BSE signed an MoU with Akola Sarafa Association and Akola Sarafa Va Suvarnakar Yuva Sangh, two bullion trade associations for deepening commodity derivatives market. They represent members engaged in retail sale and trade of bullion. Chairman of BSE: Vikramajit Sen.
11. MoU signed with IIT-B for smog tower at CP
The Delhi government has signed an MoU with IIT-Bombay and Tata Projects Limited to construct a smog tower in Connaught Place following Supreme Court orders. The smog tower is a 20-metre-high structure fitted with several air purifiers to clean the air. As per the MoU, the tower would be completed in 10 months.
12. Reliance Foundation to launch the Women Connect Challenge
Reliance Foundation has partnered US Agency for International Development (USAID) to launch the Women’s Global Development and Prosperity (W-GDP) Women Connect Challenge across India this year with an aim to bridge the gender digital divide in India. Reliance Foundation Chairperson: Nita Ambani.
13. Dell, NITI Aayog launch 2nd student entrepreneurship programme
Dell Technologies in association with NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) announced the second Student Entrepreneurship Programme (SEP 2.0) that would mentor eight teams to foray into the world of innovation and entrepreneurship. Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog: Dr Rajiv Kumar.
14. Universal Sompo General Insurance and BSE EBIX join hands
Universal Sompo General Insurance has partnered with BSE Ebix Insurance Broking Private Limited, a joint venture between BSE and Ebix Fincorp Exchange, to sell General Insurance products using distribution network of BSE Ebix in a digitized environment. Presently, BSE Ebix has more than 7,200 registered PoS Persons.
15. NSE, IIM-Bangalore join hands to offer a platform for investor education
NSE has announced a digital learning platform for investor education. The platform, launched by SEBI’s executive director Nagendra Parakh is an online investor education resource centre, developed jointly by NSE Investor Protection Fund Trust & IIM-B. NSE is the first dematerialized electronic exchange of India.
16. Google partners CWC for flood forecasting initiative
Google in association with Central Water Commission, functioning as an attached office under Ministry of Jal Shakti, took flood forecasting initiative over the past several months & sent numerous public alerts to people in impacted regions across India. Chairman of Central Water Commission: Rajendra Kumar Jain.
17. IIM-Kinks pact with Swiss firm
Against the backdrop of emerging challenges post-COVID-19, Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode & Switzerland-based HELP Logistics inked an MoU to engage
in a partnership & provide consulting services & logistics training for the humanitarian community. HELP Logistics is a registered non-profit organisation.
- Bharti AXA Life partners with SBM Bank India for insurance distribution Bharti AXA Life Insurance announced its bancassurance partnership with SBM Bank India. Under this agreement, the insurer will offer its life insurance
products, including protection, health, savings and investment plans, to customers of
SBM Private Wealth. SBM Private Wealth is the retail banking arm of SBM Bank India.
19. Flipkart signs MoU with IIT-Patna
e-commerce giant Flipkart signed an MoU with IIT-Patna to help create industry-focused applied research in the areas of Artificial Intelligence (AI), Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML) and help build critical national capabilities Flipkart CEO: Kalyan Krishnamurthy. HQ: Bengaluru.
20. Muthoot Finance, Kotak Mahindra General Insurance tie-up to offer COVID-19 cover
Muthoot Finance has tied up with Kotak Mahindra General Insurance to offer COVID- 19 insurance cover of up to ₹1 lakh against the gold loan. Muthoot Finance Ayush Gold Loan of Muthoot Group through which they will provide complimentary COVID-19 insurance. Muthoot Finance Managing Director: George Alexander Muthoot.
21. Bundelkhand in UP to use the Israel model to manage its water resources
UP govt partnered with Israel to implement models for water management in the water-deficient region of Bundelkhand. This project will focus on integrated drip- irrigation, reclamation of reservoirs, rainwater harvesting & advanced agricultural solutions. Israel PM: Benjamin Netanyahu. Capital: Jerusalem.
22. AIM, NITI Aayog, Business Sweden collaborate to promote disruptive potential of Indian entrepreneurs
Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog & Business Sweden on behalf of India Sweden Healthcare Innovation Centre are collaborating to promote the disruptive potential of Indian entrepreneurs. It aims to boost the vibrant start-up ecosystems across India. AIM set up NITI Aayog promotes innovation & entrepreneurship.
23. Ministry of Skill Development, Ministry of Shipping ink MoU for skill development in port & maritime sector
The Memorandum of Understanding signed between the Ministry of Skill Development and Ministry of Shipping aims at skilling, re-skilling and up-skilling manpower for the growing maritime industry and development of the coastal community. It also aims to provide vast employment opportunities for youth.
24. Ministry of Tourism signs MoU with TAAI & FICCI Ladies Organisation to promote tourism
In the presence of Minister of State for tourism, Prahlad Singh Patel, a formal MoU was signed between the Ministry of Tourism, the Travel Agents Association of India (TAAI) and FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) for women empowerment. President of TAAI: Jyoti Mayal President of FLO: Jahnabi Phookan
25. Andhra joins hands with Reliance, Allana to empower women through YSR Cheyutha scheme
Reliance Retail to extend its assistance to women beneficiaries for starting their own Kirana stores by training them ineffective management of shops and provide commodities at economical rates. Allana to extend technical expertise in livestock management Allana is an exporter of processor food.
26. NRDC, CSIR-NAL to establish Innovation-cum-Incubation Centre to promote Aerospace engineering start-ups
National Research Development Corporation & CSIR- National Aerospace Laboratories have partnered to establish an Innovation-cum-Incubation Centre with external private funding to promote start-ups in the field of Aerospace technologies. CSIR was established by the Government in September 1942.
27. KVG Bank inks pact with SBI General Insurance
Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB), headquartered in Dharwad, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with SBI General Insurance Co. Ltd., headquartered in Mumbai, for selling general insurance products through the branches of KVGB. KVGB – Regional Rural Bank sponsored by Canara Bank.
28. IBM, NSDC join hands to offer free digital skills training
IBM and NSDC joined hands to offer a free digital education platform focused on emerging technologies and professional development skills. IBM will curate online courses from the ‘Open P-TECH’ platform and offer them to users via NSDC’s eSkill India portal NSDC – National Skill Development Corporation.
29. IIT Roorkee inks MoU with Bureau of Indian Standards
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Uttarakhand has signed an MoU with the National Standards Body of India, Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) for collaboration in the areas of standardisation and conformity assessment based on equality and reciprocity. BIS works under the aegis of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs.
30. NITI Aayog, Tech Mahindra join hands to support women entrepreneurs across India
Tech Mahindra has partnered with the winners of Women Transforming India (WTI) awards a flagship initiative of NITI to recognise women leaders in entrepreneurship across various sectors like healthcare and life sciences, Agritech, education amongst others. Tech Mahindra MD & CEO: C. P. Gurnani. HQ: Pune.
31. CMIA partners with UNDP to set up a help desk for MSMEs
The Chamber of Marathwada Industries and Agriculture (CMIA) has joined hands with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) to set up a help desk which will provide support to MSMEs. It will support MSMEs through in-person & telephonic consultation. The help desk will be active until January 2021.
32. HP govt signs ₹110 crore MoU for setting up an electronics manufacturing unit in Baddi
The Himachal Pradesh Government signed an MoU worth ₹ 110 crores with Micro Tek New Technologies Private Ltd for setting up a manufacturing unit of thermometers, online/offline UPS, high capacity invertors, oximeters and other electrical products in Solan. Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh: Jai Ram Thakur.
33. SBI partners AddaCorner to launch ‘Online Home Carnival’
State Bank of India unveiled its Online Home Carnival in partnership with real-time group negotiation e-platform AddaCorner to boost the real estate sector in Bengaluru. AddaCorner is a real-time group negotiation platform for homes, bikes, holidays, etc., The carnival to run till 24th September’ 2020.
34. MoU For Skill Development In Port And Maritime Sector Signed Between Ministry Of Shipping, MSDE
As per the MoU, the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship(MSDE) will cooperate in the development of course curriculum, National Occupational Standards, content, etc. for Cruise Tourism, Logistics, Fisheries, Shipbuilding, Ship Repair, etc. National Skill Development Corporation, CEO Manish Kumar.
35. APEDA signs MoUs with AFC India Limited and NCUI of India
Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has signed MoUs with AFC India Limited, and National Cooperative Union of India (NCUI), Delhi to synergize the activities in the interest of agriculture and allied sectors. APEDA is under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
36. TVS Automobile Solutions and Google tie-up to digitise auto aftermarket
TVS Automobile Solutions Ltd has selected Google Cloud as its technology partner to build its digital transformation strategy. The initiative would be seen as an accelerator in digitizing the global aftermarket landscape. The industry has over 40K retailers.
Google Cloud India, MD, Karan Bajwa.
37. Mahindra inks pacts with an Israeli firm to develop electric commercial vehicles
Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) has inked a pact with Tel Aviv-based REE Automotive to explore the production of electric commercial vehicles. The aim is to explore the development and manufacturing of electric commercial vehicles for global markets.
REE Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer Daniel Barel.
38. MOU signed between NeGD and CSC E-Governance Services India Limited
The CSC operator’s Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLEs) will enable citizens to avail e-Governance services of 140 Departments through the UMANG App. UMANG was developed by National e-Governance Division (NeGD), Ministry of Electronics & IT. UMANG app was dedicated to the Nation on November 23, 2017.
- VSSUT first to set up Space Innovation-cum-Incubation Centre with ISRO The Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT), Burla in Odisha’s Sambalpur district became the first University in the country to set up a Space Innovation-cum-
Incubation Centre with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). ISRO
chairman Dr K Sivan.
40. UTIITSL ties up with National Health Authority to provide print services for PMJAY e-cards
UTIITSL will be providing printing services & support the beneficiary identification and verification process in the issuance of e-cards to beneficiaries of AB PM-JAY scheme. It will also provide the services of printing of e-cards through its branches. UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited (UTIITSL).
41. Innoviti partners with Visa to develop instalments platform for face-to-face transactions
The instalments platform will help merchants leverage cardholders’ existing relationships with financial institutions to provide instalment solutions at the point of sale – through a single API-based integration. Rajeev Agrawal, CEO, Innoviti.
42. Bangladesh’s Beximco Pharmaceuticals Ltd & Serum Institute of India
join hands for Covid-19 vaccine.
The two entities have announced that BPL will be investing with SII, for the development of the Covid-19 vaccine less than 10 days after Foreign Secretary’s visit to Dhaka. The BPL will be the exclusive distributor of SII for this vaccine in Bangladesh. The investment amount will be treated as an advance.
1. MSME Minister Shri Nitin Gadkari approves a New Scheme to Make India Aatmanirbhar in Agarbatti Production
The program named as “Khadi Agarbatti Aatmanirbhar Mission” aims at creating employment for unemployed and migrant workers in different parts of the country while increasing domestic Agarbatti production substantially. The program, proposed by Khadi and Village Industries Commission.
2. Jan Dhan accounts cross 40 crore mark
Flagship scheme for financial inclusion, Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) has crossed over more than 40 crore bank accounts. The objective of the PMJDY was to ensure the availability of financial services to the weaker sections and lower-income groups. The scheme was launched six years ago on August 28, 2014.
3. Govt launches Letter of Recommendation module for street vendors to avail PM SVANidhi Scheme benefits
Housing & Urban Affairs Sec Durga Shanker Mishra launched Letter of Recommendation module for PM SVANidhi Scheme. The module is designed to give access to street vendors who do not have Identity Card, Certificate of Vending & are not in the surveyed list. The module provides for an end to end, digitally enabled process.
4. Ayushman Bharat to cover non-poor too, all health insurance schemes to be merged
The Central government to extend its popular health insurance scheme Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana to cover the non-poor population of the country. It will also integrate all its various health insurance schemes under AB PM-JAY. Implementing Body of the Scheme: National Health Authority.
5. ESIC extends unemployment benefit scheme ‘Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojna’ up to June 30, 2021
The Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojana is being implemented by Employee State Insurance Corporation, approved under the Employees State Insurance Act, 1948. The scheme provides 25% of average per day earning in the previous four contribution periods. The scheme was introduced in 2018.
6. Civil Aviation Ministry approves 78 new routes in UDAN 4; North-East region, hilly states, islands were given priority
Special boost is being given to connectivity in North East with routes from Guwahati to Tezu, Rupsi, Tezpur, Passighat, Misa and Shillong. People will be able to fly from Hissar to Chandigarh, Dehradun and Dharmshala under these UDAN 4 routes. UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik).
7. Government launches contest “Chunauti” to promote startups in small towns
Govt has launched a contest to boost homegrown startups & software products companies with special focus on firms from small towns. As per “Chunauti”- Next Generation Startup Challenge Contest around 300 startups will be identified & provided seed funds. A seed fund of up to Rs 25,00,000 along with other support.
- Insurance And Overdraft Facility Enhanced For Jan Dhan Account Holders Eligible PMJDY account holders will be sought to be covered under Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana] and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana]. Overdraft
facilities have also been doubled to Rs 10000 with OD up to Rs 2000 available without conditions. 55.2% of Jan Dhan accounts opened belonged to women.
1. Air Marshal V R Chaudhari takes over as chief of IAF’s Western Air
Air Marshal V. R. Chaudhari took over as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Western Air Command of Indian Air Force. He was commissioned into the fighter stream of the IAF in 1982 as a fighter pilot. The Air Marshal took over command from Air Marshal B Suresh. Chief of the Air Staff: Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria.
2. Sashidhar Jagdishan to be the new CEO of HDFC Bank
Shashidhar Jagdishan is currently an Additional Director and Head of Finance, HR at HDFC Bank. The bank recommended Shashidhar Jagdishan, Kaizad Bharucha, and Sunil Garg’s names for the post.HDFC Bank has received RBI approval letter. The term of present CEO Aditya Puri will end in October 2020.
3. Government appoints 3 members of Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs
Bureaucrats Ajay Jain, Vivek Johri & Sungita Sharma have been appointed as members of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs. The board, top policy-making body for indirect taxes, is headed by a chairperson. It can have a maximum of six members. Ajit Kumar, chairman Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs
4. Guyana’s Irfaan Ali sworn in as president after disputed vote
Former Guyanese housing minister Irfaan Ali was sworn in as president of the newly oil-producing South American country. The looming oil boom raised the stakes of the country’s ethnically divided politics. Current President David Granger will resign.
Guyana is the only English-speaking country in South America.
5. Ajay Tyagi gets 18 months’ extension as SEBI chairman to continue till Feb 2022
This is the second extension given to Tyagi. It comes at a time when the economy and capital markets are staring at uncertainties due to the coronavirus pandemic. Earlier this year, he was given a six-month extension till August. Securities and Exchange Board of India headquarters Mumbai.
6. Capital India Finance appoints former Nabard chairman Harsh Bhanwala as Executive Chairman
NBFC, Capital India Finance has appointed Dr Harsh Kumar Bhanwala, former NABARD chairman as Executive Chairman of the Board. Formerly he was the MD of Delhi State Cooperative Bank from 1999-2005 and as chairman and at NABARD. Govinda Rajulu Chintala current chairman of NABARD.
7. Manoj Sinha Appointed J&K Lieutenant Governor After GC Murmu Resigns GC Murmu resigned from his post in Jammu and Kashmir and Manoj Sinha has been appointed as his successor. Mr. Murmu, a 1985-batch Gujarat cadre
officer, worked with Prime Minister Narendra Modi when he was the Gujarat Chief
Minister. GC Murmu was the first Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir.
8. Former J&K Governor GC Murmu appointed CAG
Former Jammu & Kashmir Governor Girish Chandra Murmu (1985 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre) has been appointed the next Comptroller Auditor General. CAG audits all receipts and expenditure of the Government of India and the state governments.
GC Murmu will succeed Rajiv Mehrishi.
9. Dr Pradeep Kumar Joshi takes oath as Chairman of UPSC
Dr Pradeep Kumar Joshi took oath as Chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Prof. Joshi joined the Commission as a member in the year 2015. He served as Director of the National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration. UPSC is a constitutional body under Article 315.
10. Mahinda Rajapaksa takes oath as Prime Minister of Sri Lanka for the fourth time
Sri Lanka’s former President Mahinda Rajapaksa was sworn in as prime minister for the 4th time after his party secured a landslide victory in parliamentary elections. He took oath from Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa in a ceremony at Colombo. He was earlier president from 2005 to 2015; Currency: SL Rupee.
11. Deepak Shetty appointed as Deputy CEO and MD of JCB India
Earthmoving and construction equipment major JCB Group has announced the appointment of Deepak Shetty as Deputy CEO & Managing Director of JCB India Ltd. He will take over as MD and CEO from Subir Kumar Chowdhury. JCB is headquartered in Rocester, England.
12. Patanjali assumes charge as Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax, Mumbai
Senior Indian Revenue Service officer Patanjali has assumed charge as Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax, Mumbai. Prior to this, he was holding the post of Director General of Income Tax, Bengaluru for the state of Karnataka & Goa. He has assumed charge on August 10, 2020.
13. Ex-SBI Card head Hardayal Prasad appointed MD of PNB Housing Finance
PNB Housing Finance appointed Hardayal Prasad as its new Managing Director and Chief Executive. He was the former head of SBI Card. He will replace Neeraj Vyas, the current interim MD. The housing Finance Company is promoted by Punjab National Bank. PNB Housing Finance: New Delhi.
14. Soma Mondal Selected As The Next Chairman Of SAIL
Soma Mondal was selected by the Public Enterprises Selection Board as the next chairman of Steel Authority of India Limited. Apart from being the first woman chairperson of SAIL, she will also be the first woman to head a major steel company in the world. She will replace Anil Kumar Chaudhary.
- Isher Judge Ahluwalia resigns as ICRIER chairperson after 15-year stint Isher Judge Ahluwalia has stepped down as chairperson of think tank Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER) due to health
reasons. She had been in this position for 15 years. Pramod Bhasin will now be the
new chairman. ICRIER is a not-for-profit, economic policy think tank in Delhi.
16. Vice Admiral Dinesh K Tripathi assumes charge as Director-General Naval Operations (DGNO)
Vice Admiral Dinesh K Tripathi, an alumnus of National Defence Academy Khadakwasla, has assumed charge as Director General Naval Operations (DGNO). He has commanded INS Vinash, INS Kirch and INS Trishul and he has also been awarded the Thimmaiya Medal. He is a recipient of Ati Vishisht Seva & Nausena Medals.
17. Former RBI deputy governor SS Mundra appointed as non-executive chairman of Indiabulls Housing
Mortgage player Indiabulls Housing Finance (IBH) headquartered in Gurugram, has appointed former RBI deputy governor S S Mundra as its new non-executive chairman with immediate effect. He had joined the board as an independent director
in 2018. IBH is India’s second-largest housing finance company.
18. Urjit Patel in search panel for MPC members
Urjit Patel has been co-opted as a member of the search-cum-selection committee to name the new three government nominees on the all-important Monetary Policy Committee (MPC). The panel is headed by the Cabinet Secretary, Rajiv Gauba. Overdraft: Saving the Indian Saver is a book by Urjit Patel.
19. GoAir appoints Kaushik Khona as new CEO, to replace Vinay Dube
GoAir’s Nominations & Remuneration Committee and the Board appointed Kaushik Khona as CEO effective immediately. He replaces industry veteran Vinay Dube, former CEO of Jet Airways. Khona has more than 32 years of corporate experience and all at CXO level. Khona was with Wadia Group for 4 years from 2008 – 2011.
20. Rakesh Asthana appointed DG of Border Security Force
Rakesh Asthana is appointed as the Director-General of Border Security Force, BSF. He is presently working as the Director-General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security, BCAS. He will continue to hold the additional charge of DG, Narcotics Control Bureau. VSK Kaumudi to be Special Secretary in the Home Ministry.
21. Satya Pal Malik appointed Meghalaya Governor
Satya Pal Malik was transferred as Governor of Meghalaya, replacing Tathagata Roy who completed his five-year tenure. Governor of Maharashtra Bhagat Singh Koshyari has been asked to discharge the functions of Goa governor in addition to his own duties. Malik was the Governor of J&K when Article 370 was revoked.
22. Ashok Lavasa resigns as Election Commissioner; to join ADB as Vice- President
Lavasa who was expected to take over the poll body from Sunil Arora next year resigned and would be soon joining the Philippines based Asian Development Bank as its Vice-President. He has worked as Secretary in the Union Finance Ministry. ADB President: Masatsugu Asakawa.
23. Kishor Rungta assumed charge as Chairman of Fertilisers Association of India
Kishor Rungta, C&MD, The FACT Ltd, assumed charge as Chairman of Fertilisers Association of India, Southern Region. It represents the fertiliser manufacturers, distributors, importers, equipment manufacturers, research institutes and suppliers of inputs. FAI Head Office: New Delhi. FAI Southern Region Office: Chennai.
24. DBS Bank India appoints Prashant Joshi as Managing Director and Head of National Distribution
DBS Bank India appointed Prashant Joshi as Managing Director & Head of National Distribution. He brings with him close to three decades of experience in banking sector across consumer, SME and corporate banking with leading banks and financial institutions He will report to Surojit Shome, MD & CEO of DBS Bank India Ltd.
25. Karnataka Bank appoints Justice A V Chandrashekar and Mr. Pradeep Kumar Panja as Additional Directors
Karnataka Bank Ltd. has appointed Justice A V Chandrashekar and Mr. Pradeep Kumar Panja as Additional Directors. Justice AV Chandrashekar is a former Judge of Karnataka High Court. Pradeep Kumar retired as Managing Director (Corporate Banking) of SBI. MD & CEO of Karnataka Bank: Mahabaleshwara MS.
- Retired Bureaucrat Rajiv Kumar Appointed India’s Election Commissioner Rajiv Kumar’s appointment is in place of Ashok Lavasa who resigned with effect from 2020 August 31. The Election Commission of India is an autonomous constitutional
authority responsible for administering Union and State election processes in India.
The President appoints the Chief Election Commissioner.
27. Luis Rodolfo Abinader sworn in as Dominican Republic president
He won a four-year term, ending a 16-year run in power by a centre-left party. The elections in the Dominican Republic took place as the coronavirus pandemic was sweeping across the Caribbean nation of some 10.5 million people. Dominican Republic Capital- Santo Domingo, Currency- Peso.
28. Ashwani Bhatia Appointed Managing Director of SBI
Bhatia is currently the deputy MD and CEO of SBI Mutual Fund. Bhatia will be appointed in place of P K Gupta who superannuated on March 31. Bhatia has been appointed as the managing director up to the date of his superannuation, that is May 31, 2022. SBI Chairman- Rajnish Kumar, Headquarters- Mumbai.
29. Satpal Singh Satti named Himachal finance commission chief
Former President of BJP’s Himachal Pradesh unit, Satpal Singh Satti is appointed as Chairman of 6th State Finance Commission. The committee will review financial position of panchayats and municipalities and devolution of resources to these institutions. Satti will enjoy the status of a cabinet minister.
- Yatinder Prasad appointed as Government nominee Director in CIL Board
Yatinder Prasad, joint secretary and financial advisor with the Ministry of Coal, has been appointed on CIL board. Prasad is a 1993-batch Indian Audit and Accounts Service officer, Coal India Ltd (CIL). Coal India accounts for over 80 percent of domestic coal output.
31. IEX board accepts resignation of MD & CEO Rajiv Srivastava
India Energy Exchange’s (IEX) board of directors have accepted resignation of its Managing Director and CEO Rajiv Srivastava. The company has given Satyanarayan Goel the additional charge of Managing Director and CEO. Indian Energy Exchange, Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Former IOC Chairman Sanjiv Singh joins Reliance as Group President Former Indian Oil Corp (IOC) chairman Sanjiv Singh has joined Reliance Industries Ltd as Group President for billionaire Mukesh Ambani-run firm’s oil-to-chemicals
He will lead and drive the Group manufacturing services (GMS) organisation. Shrikant
Madhav Vaidya, current Chairman of IOC.
33. Banks Board Bureau recommends Dinesh Khara as next SBI chairman
Banks Board Bureau has recommended Dinesh Kumar Khara as the next chairman of SBI. Mr Khara is the managing director of the Global Banking and Subsidiaries (GB&S) wing of SBI & supervises the businesses of non-banking subsidiaries of the bank.
Bharatiya Mahila Bank merged with SBI in 2017
34. Mustapha Adib on course to be designated Lebanon PM
An influential group of former Lebanese prime ministers has picked diplomat Mustapha Adib to head the country’s next government. His designation will come on the eve of French President Emmanuel Macron’s second trip to Lebanon in under a month.
Lebanon President, Michel Aoun.
35. Retired IAS Officer Utpal Singh Appointed Secretary in Lok Sabha
The Lok Sabha Speaker appointed retired IAS officer Utpal Kumar Singh as a secretary on a contractual basis. He will take charge from September 1. Singh was earlier the chief secretary of Uttarakhand. Om Birla, current Speaker who presides over the 17th Lok Sabha.
1. M/o Tribal Affairs receives SKOCH Gold Award
Tribal Affairs Ministry received SKOCH Gold Award for Empowerment of Tribals through IT-enabled Scholarship Schemes project of Scholarship Division of the Ministry. 66th SKOCH 2020 Competition was entitled India Responds To COVID Through Digital Governance Minister of Tribal Affairs: Arjun Munda.
2. Dalmia Bharat Group wins FICCI CSR Award for Environment Sustainability
Dalmia Bharat Group has won an award for Environment Sustainability at 18th FICCI CSR award ceremony, organized by FICCI. The award recognizes efforts of companies in integrating and internalizing Corporate Social Responsibility. Anurag Thakur, Minister of State for Finance & Corporate Affairs.
3. Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) announces Young Scientist Award 2020
The awards are set to be given to seven scientists working in different institutions of CSIR for their achievements in biological sciences, chemical sciences, earth, atmosphere, ocean and planetary sciences, engineering sciences and physical sciences. CSIR confers YS Award every year in the five disciplines.
4. IICT Scientist to be awarded Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI) Bronze, Medal
Srihari Pabbaraja, the senior principal scientist from CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (IICT), Hyderabad, has been selected for the CRSI Bronze medal 2021. He is associated with the backward integration of hydroxychloroquine. He is a recipient of CSIR Young Scientist Award-2009.
5. AatmaNirbhar Bharat App Innovation Challenge: Chingari, Zoho among some winners
Indian firm Zoho has bagged the first place in two categories with its apps Zoho Invoice & Zoho Workplace emerging as winners in the Business & Office category respectively. Application Cliq has jointly won the award with Zoho Workplace. Short video app Chingari won Challenge in the social category.
6. Rockefeller Foundation picks Naandi Foundation for Food Vision 2050 prize of $200,000
Rockefeller Foundation has selected Naandi Foundation, Hyderabad-based non-profit, as one of the ‘Top 10 Visionaries’ in the world for the Food Vision 2050 Prize, announced in New York. The recognition fetches Naandi prize money of $200,000. Award recognised the application of Arakunomics model in Araku.
7. Nitin Sethi bags ACJ investigative Journalism award
Nitin Sethi of The Huffington Post India and Shiv Sahay Singh of The Hindu bagged the prestigious Asian College of Journalism’s Award for Investigative Journalism & the K.
- Narayana Kumar Memorial Award for Social Impact Journalism, respectively. Awards presented by, Dr Soumya Swaminathan(Chief scientist WHO).
8. Smart India Hackathon 2020: Defence Institute of Advanced Technology wins first prize
Pune-based Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT) won the first prize in the Smart India Hackathon 2020, a national-level digital product building competition. DIAT is a deemed university under the Department of Defence Research and Development. Secretary of DRDO: G Satheesh Reddy.
9. FSSAI awarded the Food Systems Vision Prize for its ‘Eat Right India’
FSSAI was selected as one of the ten global organizations for the award by Rockefeller Foundation for the ‘Eat Right India’ movement. It recognizes organisations with a vision of regenerative and nourishing food system that they aspire to create by 2050. CEO of FSSAI: Arun Singhal. HQ: New Delhi.
10. President approves 84 Gallantry Awards
President Ram Nath Kovind has approved 84 awards and decorations to the Armed Forces personnel and members of the Paramilitary Forces. The awards include Kirti Chakra, Shaurya Chakras, Bar to Sena Medals, Sena Medals, Nao Sena Medals & Vayu Sena Medals. The President is the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces.
11. Rohit Sharma, Mariappan Thangavelu, Vinesh Phogat, Rani Rampal & Manika Batra: to be honoured with Khel Ratna Award
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award is the country’s highest sporting honour. Another 29 were selected for the Arjuna award by the sports ministry’s selection committee. The Arjuna award comes with a cash prize of Rs 5,00,000. Union sports minister- Kiren Rijiju.
- Nagaland school wins Pallikutam award for innovation in education The first-ever Pallikkutam National Award for Innovation in Education instituted by Rajagiri Media was won by St Christopher School, Cheshire, Village, Nagaland. The
Silver Award was won by DAV Public School, Haryana. The bronze award was won by CMI
Christ School, Iritty in Kerala.
13. Ganesh Vilas Legare awarded Star 2020 Certificate by World Book of Records, London
World Book of Records, London, found in 2017, honours personalities for their outstanding contribution towards humanity and universal peace. Mr Lengare organised various online contests and produced educational videos. Ganesh Vilas is a Solapur based social activist.
14. Anand Mahindra, Shantanu Narayen to receive 2020 Leadership Awards from USISPF
US-based India-centric business advocacy group to honour Mahindra group Chairman Anand Mahindra and Adobe Chairman & CEO Shantanu Narayen with its 2020 Leadership Awards in recognition of their exemplary vision towards promoting the US- India bilateral ties. USISPF – US-India Strategic Partnership Forum.
- Wabag Wins Prestigious Global Water Award for Project in Chennai Water technology major Va Tech Wabag won the prestigious Global Water Award for its 45 million litres a day tertiary treatment reverse osmosis (TTRO) plant in
The plant bagged the distinction award under ‘wastewater project of the year’
category. The Global Water Awards was established in the year 2006.
16. 29-year-old Marieke Lucas Rijneveld becomes youngest author to win International Booker Prize
Marieke Lucas Rijneveld’s “The Discomfort of Evening,” a dark story about a devout farming family in a strict Christian community in the rural Netherlands, was announced as the winner. This year the judges considered 124 books, translated from 30 languages. 50,000-pound will be split between the author and the translator.
- Sports Minister K Rijiju announces hike in various National Sports awards The prize money for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award has been increased to Rs 25 lakh, Dhronacharya (Lifetime) awardees to get 15 lakhs while Dhyanchand
Awardees (regular) will be given Rs 10 lakh instead of Rs 5 lakh. The increment was
announced for 4 out of 7 categories of NSA.
18. Para swimmer Satyendra Singh 1st Divyang sportsperson of the country to get prestigious Adventure Award
Satyendra Singh Lohia of Madhya Pradesh is the 1st Divyanga Indian sportsperson of the country, to be awarded Tenzing Norgay Adventure Award. He is also the 1st Asian Divyang swimmer to cross the 42-km Catalina Channel in the US in just 11 hours 34 mins. Tenzing Norgay along with Edmund Hillary climbed Mt Everest first.
19. Noor Inayat Khan Becomes First Indian-Origin Woman to Be Honoured With Blue Plaque
She was an undercover radio operator in Nazi-captured France in 1943 working for Britain’s Special Operations Executive (SOE). The memorial plaque will be installed at her family home in central London, 4 Taviton Street at Bloomsbury where she lived. The Blue Plaque scheme was founded in 1866.
Ranks & Reports
- 15th Finance Commission’s HLEG on Agricultural Exports submits report The HLEG was set up to recommend measurable performance incentives for states to encourage agricultural exports and to promote crops to enable high import
substitution. The recommendations include a demand-driven approach and focus on
22 crop value chains. Fifteenth Finance Commission constituted on 27 November 2017.
2. Eight core industries’ output contracts 15 per cent in June
Contracting for the 4th consecutive month, the output of eight core infrastructure industries shrank by 15% in June due to fall in the production of coal, crude oil, natural gas, steel, cement & electricity. 8-core sectors had expanded by 1.2% on June,19. Data released by the Commerce and Industry Ministry.
3. Defence Ministry formulates draft Defence Production & Export Promotion Policy 2020
The DPEPP-2020 is envisaged as overarching guiding document of Defence Ministry to provide a focused, structured and significant thrust to defence production capabilities of the country for self-reliance and exports. The DPEPP 2020 will make the defence sector more ‘Atmanirbhar’.
4. Total live storage in India’s reservoirs 41% of live storage capacity, CWC
Total live storage in India’s 123 reservoirs has increased by 14.145 billion cubic metres (BCM) since the start of the monsoon, according to a bulletin released by Central Water Commission (CWC). The average of the last 10 yrs’ live storage was
68.264 BCM. Central Water Commission is under Ministry of Jal Shakti.
5. Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare Shri Narendra Singh
Tomar launches the Sahakar Cooptube NCDC Channel
National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) a statutory institution under the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare has achieved tremendous success with cumulative financial assistance to cooperatives to the tune of Rs.1,54,000 crore. NCDC has a major role in the formation of FPOs in cooperative mode.
6. UPI transactions reach their peak in July with 1.5 billion
According to the statistics data released by National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI), Unified Payment Interface (UPI) has clocked 1.49 billion transactions in the month of July marking it as yet another highest rate since its launch in 2016. Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) also seen increased usage.
7. 2020 FutureBrand Index: Reliance Industries ranked No. 2 brand globally after Apple
Mukesh Ambani’s oil-to-telecom conglomerate Reliance Industries has been ranked second biggest brand after Apple on the FutureBrand Index 2020. Samsung is ranked third, followed by Nvidia, Moutai, Nike, Microsoft, ASML, PayPal and Netflix.
FutureBrand is a global brand transformation company.
8. Mukesh Ambani now 4th richest man in the world: Bloomberg Index
Mukesh Ambani with a personal wealth of $80.6 billion in 2020 has surpassed Bernard Arnault, chairman and CEO, LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton. Jeff Bezos, Bil Gates and Mark Zuckerberg rounded out the top three spots. Jio Platforms has raised a combined 1.5 lac cr from companies.
9. Ministry of Corporate Affairs releases the Report of the Committee on Business Responsibility Reporting
SEBI through its ‘Listing Regulations’ in 2012 mandated the top 100 listed entities by market capitalization to file Business Responsibility Reports from an environmental, social & governance perspective. It was extended to top 1000 companies in 2019. The BRR was launched by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
10. One in two youths subject to depression: ILO Survey
ILO’s ‘Youth and Covid-19: Impacts on jobs, education, rights & mental well-being’ survey found that half of the world’s youth population are subject to anxiety or depression and more than a third are uncertain of their future career prospects due to Covid-19. International Labour Organization HQ: Geneva, Switzerland.
11. 6.1 million youth may lose jobs in India due to Covid-19: ADB-ILO report
According to a report published by Asian Development Bank and International Labour Organisation, as many as 6.1 million young people (15-24 years) may lose jobs in India in 2020 if the containment of the virus takes six months (roughly till September). India was followed by Pakistan with 2.3 mn job losses.
12. India ranks among lowest in terms of Internet quality: Report
Digital Quality of Life Index 2020 was released by a VPN provider Surf Shark based in the British Virgin Islands. It researches on the quality of digital wellbeing in 85 countries. India occupied 57th place. Denmark, Sweden & Canada topped the list. India’s rank in terms of e-infrastructure was 79.
13. IIT Madras retains a number-one position in the list of top innovative educational institutes in India
In the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has retained its number-one position in the list of top innovative educational institutes in India for the second consecutive year. ARIIA was released by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu.
14. Swachh Survekshan 2020: Indore India’s cleanest city
Indore is India’s cleanest city in Swachh Survekshan 2020, the fifth edition of the annual cleanliness survey of the country. The city bagged the spot fourth time in a row. Gujarat’s Surat is on the second spot and Maharashtra’s Navi Mumbai is on the third. Varanasi was adjudged the best ‘Ganga Town’ in the survey.
15. National Cancer Registry Programme Report 2020
National Cancer Registry Programme Report 2020 released by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) & National Centre for Disease Informatics & Research (NCDIR) predicts 13.9 lakh cases of cancer in India in 2020 and is likely to rise to 15.7 lakh by 2025 Director-General of ICMR: Dr Balram Bhargava.
16. India’s population is expected to be more feminine in 2036
India’s population is expected to be more feminine in 2036 compared to 2011 and hold better future for women 15 years from now, indicating the population projections made by the National Commission on Population under Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. India to overtake China as the most populous nation around 2031.
17. NITI Aayog virtually launches India component of NDC- TIA
NITI Aayog launched the India Component of the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC)-Transport Initiative for Asia -TIA. NDC-TIA program team will work in close cooperation and coordination with India’s government agencies, local decision-makers, etc. Its aims at decarbonizing transport in India, Vietnam, and China.
18. Gujarat tops in first-ever Export Preparedness index 2020 released by NITI Ayog
At present, 70 per cent of the country’s export has been dominated by five states including Gujarat. Gujarat has topped the index with a strong display in various sub- pillars such as Export promotion policy, Business Environment and Infrastructure.
Gujarat, Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.
1. World Sanskrit Day: August 3
On the occasion of World Sanskrit Day, All India Radio will broadcast its first-ever special program in Sanskrit. The 20-minute program titled, ‘Bahujan Bhasha-Sanskrit Bhasha’. World Sanskrit Day is celebrated on the Poornima of the Shravan month.
Union Education Minister: Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank.
2. 6 August: Hiroshima Day
On August 6, 1945, the US becomes the first and only nation to use atomic weaponry during wartime when it drops an atomic bomb known as ‘Little Boy’ on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. The dropping of the atomic bomb on Japan marked the end of World War II. On August 9, another bomb was dropped on the city of Nagasaki.
3. 7 August: National Handloom Day
August 7 was chosen as the National Handloom Day to commemorate the Swadeshi Movement which was launched on this day in 1905 in the Calcutta Town hall to protest against the partition of Bengal by the British Government. The 1st National Handloom Day was inaugurated on 7 August 2015.
4. World Tribal Day is observed on 9 August
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples / World Tribal Day is observed aimed at promoting & protecting the rights of the world’s indigenous population. 1st meeting of the UN Working Group on Indigenous Populations took place in Geneva (1982). Theme 2020: COVID-19 and indigenous peoples’ resilience.
5. Railways to observe cleanliness week to mark Independence Day
Railways to observe Cleanliness Week from Aug 10 to mark Independence Day. A special Cleanliness drive to be launched and special focus to be given to clean tracks, station offices, colonies, worksites, edge of stations & other areas near railway premises Special attention to be given to the plastic waste collection.
6. World Lion Day: 10 August
August 10 commemorates World lion Day to bring awareness about the declining population of lions in the world. The Co-founder of the Big Cat Initiative and the National Geographic, Dereck and Beverly Joubert started a partnership for the Lion Day in 2013. Lions are ‘vulnerable’ species, according to IUCN.
7. World Biofuel Day: 10 August
World Biofuel Day is observed every year on August 10. It is observed to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels and to highlight the various efforts made by the Govt in the biofuel sector. Observed since 2015 by the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas.
8. International Youth Day: 12 August
International Youth Day was designated by the United Nations in the year 1999, in an attempt to raise awareness regarding the cultural and legal issue concerning youth.
The first IYD was observed on 12 August 2000 and has been observed annually ever since. 2020 Theme: Youth Engagement for Global Action.
9. World Elephant Day: 12 August
World Elephant Day is observed every year on August 12. It was launched to bring attention to the urgent plight of Asian and African elephants. It was officially founded by Patricia Sims and the Elephant Reintroduction Foundation. It is now supported by over 65 wildlife organisations.
10. World Organ Donation Day: 13 August
Organ Donation Day is observed every year on the 13th of August. The aim of this day is to motivate normal human beings to pledge to donate organs after death and to spread awareness about the importance of organ donation. NOTTO: National Organ & Tissue Transplant Organisation.
11. World Humanitarian Day: 19 August
World Humanitarian Day was established by the UN General Assembly to commemorate the death of Sergio Vieira de Mello and 21 of his fellow humanitarians in a bombing of the Baghdad headquarters of the UN. In 2009, UN formalised this day as Humanitarian Day. A campaign, #RealLifeHeroes was launched.
12. World Photography Day: 19 August
World Photography Day is an annual worldwide celebration of the science, history, art and craft of photography. It was in 1837 when the first-ever photographic process, the Daguerreotype was developed. the first durable colour photograph was taken in 1861. In 2010, World Photo Day hosted the first global online gallery.
13. International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism: 21 August
UNGA established 21 August as International Day of Remembrance of and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism in order to honour and support victims and survivors of terrorism and to promote and protect the full enjoyment of their human rights and freedoms. 2020 marks the third edition of the day.
14. 23 August: International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition
Day is intended to inscribe the tragedy of the slave trade in the memory of all peoples. The night of 22 to 23 August 1791, in Santo Domingo saw the beginning of the uprising that would play a crucial role in the abolition of the transatlantic slave trade.
Santo Domingo is the capital of Dominican Republic at present.
15. 23 August: European Day of Remembrance for Victims of Stalinism and Nazism
It is also known as Black Ribbon Day. 23 August was chosen to coincide with the date of the signing of the Molotov- Ribbentrop Pact. It is a day of remembrance for victims of totalitarian regimes, specifically Stalinism, Communism, Nazism and Fascism. It has been observed by the bodies of the EU since 2009.
16. National Sports Day 2020: 29 August 2020
National Sports Day is celebrated on August 29 every year to honour the hockey legend, Major Dhyan Chand since 2012. Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju pay tribute to Major Dhyan Chand at Dhyan Chand Stadium in New Delhi. He came to be known as ‘Wizard of Hockey’, worldwide.
17. International Day against Nuclear Tests: 29 August
64th session of the UN General Assembly declared 29 August the International Day against Nuclear Tests to signify that effort should be made to end nuclear tests in order to avert devastating and harmful effects on the lives and health of people. UN General Secretary: Antonio Guterres
18. International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances: 30 August
In 2010, UN General Assembly welcomed the adoption of the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance & decided to declare 30 August the International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances since 2011. International Criminal Court situated in The Hague, Netherlands
Summit & Conferences
1. National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM) Webinar Series on “Hydro-Meteorological Hazard Risk Reduction” concludes
NIDM in collaboration with India Meteorological Department organized this webinar series. It includes 4 webinars focusing on issues apropos of Thunderstorms & Lightning, Cloudburst & Floods, Cyclones & Storm Surges & Climate Change & Extreme Weather Events. Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Nityanand Rai.
2. Webinar on New Technologies for various Products for MSMEs with the focus of Water Purification Technologies: CSIR CMERI
The main objective of the Webinar was to make the industries under MSME aware of the technologies developed by CSIR-CMERI, provide total engineering solution & the facilities available in CSIR-CMERI like Plasma Arc Medical Waste Disposal System.
CSIR CMERI is a public R&D institution in Durgapur, West Bengal.
3. Union Minister of MSME addressed [email protected] Summit- Mission 2022
Union Minister of MSME, Nitin Gadkari addressed the [email protected] Summit – Mission 2022, which was organised by the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII). He stressed the need for looking beyond metros and urged industries to develop tribal areas. CII President: Uday Kotak. HQ: New Delhi.
4. PM Modi to inaugurate First World Solar Technology Summit to be held on Sept 8
The First World Solar Technology Summit will be organized by International Solar Alliance (headquartered in Gurugram) on 8th of September virtually. Nobel Laureate Dr M. Stanley Whittingham will present the Key-note Address during the inaugural ceremony. Minister of Power, R K Singh to be curtain raiser of the event.
5. India & UAE Co-chair 13th India-UAE JCM
The 13th Session of the India-UAE Joint Commission Meeting on Trade, Economic and Technical Cooperation was chaired by Subrahmanyam Jaishankar and Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the UAE. The UAE is one of India’s top sources of energy.
6. LS Speaker Om Birla Attends Fifth World Conference Of Speakers Of Parliament
Om Birla, the Lok Sabha Speaker, attended the inauguration ceremony of the Fifth World Conference of Speakers of Parliament virtually. This Inter-Parliamentary conference is being organised by IPU, Geneva, the Parliament of Austria and the United Nations. Om Birla is the 17th Speaker of Lok Sabha.
- 17th ASEAN-India Economic Ministers’ Consultations held virtually Trade Ministers of India & Vietnam Piyush Goyal, Tran Tuan Anh respectively co-chaired the 17th ASEAN-India Economic Ministers Consultations held virtually. The
Ministers’ discussion centred on the review of ASEAN India Trade in Goods
Agreement (AITIGA). Also, the report of ASEAN India Business Council (AIBC) was placed.
8. 51st International Film Festival India to be held in Goa from Nov 20
51st IFFI will be held in Goa, from November 20th to 28th. This film festival is a hybrid film festival due to COVID 19, would screen films on the official digital platform along with the theatrical screenings. A festival is an annual event since 1975.
International Film Festival of India (IFFI) was founded in 1952.
9. Education Minister addresses inaugural session of World Urdu Conference organised by NCPUL
The Education Minister made an important announcement and said that Urdu writers and kinds of literature will be honoured with awards and honours in the name of important personalities of Urdu like Amir Khusrow, Mirza Ghalib, Agha Hashar, Ram Babu Saxena, etc. National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language (NCPUL).
Science & Technology
1. Scientists map how coronavirus spreads indoor via aerosol
Scientists from the University of Minnesota, US have simulated how the novel coronavirus spreads indoors via aerosols as infected people speak or exhale, and have found the features of good ventilation that can filter virus particles out of the air.
Examples of natural aerosols are fog, mist, dust, etc.
2. JNCASR scientists devise an adaptive model to estimate & strategize critical resources in pandemic
The model can be utilized to estimate key aspects of medical inventory requirements, a calculation that is required to scale up both the testing capabilities and the critical care facilities, which are essential to reduce the mortality. Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR).
3. Scientists develop nanorods from aspirin for cataract treatment
Scientists from the Institute of Nano Science and Tech., Punjab developed nanorods from aspirin for treating cataracts in a non-invasive way. Aspirin nanorods prevent the aggregation of crystallin protein & various peptides derived from its fragmentation. A cataract is a major form of blindness.
4. IIT-KGP researchers awarded for generating power from wet clothes
A group of researchers from IIT Kharagpur has been conferred the ‘Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Awards 2020’ for developing a mechanism for generating electricity from wet clothes left under sunlight to dry. The group was led by Prof Sunando Dasgupta.
5. IIT Madras Collaborates With Healthcare Start-Up On Patient Monitoring Solutions
The device monitors four critical parameters including temperature, oxygen saturation, respiratory rate and heart rate. The device is self-contained, portable, wireless and can be “clipped on to a patient’s finger and data is streamed to a mobile phone.
6. IISc develops unique mobile RT-PCR lab
Karnataka launched the country’s only ICMR-approved mobile RT-PCR lab in Bengaluru. The IISc, Bengaluru has developed what it calls MITR (Mobile Infection Testing and Reporting) lab, which is capable of conducting 9000 tests per month. The lab can be utilized for molecular diagnostic testing.
7. IIT Kanpur develops indigenous seed balls BEEG for farmers
IIT Kanpur developed indigenous seed balls named BEEG (Bio -compost Enriched Eco- friendly Globule) which will help people and farmers in plantation with safety in Corona times. It was developed in collaboration with Agnys Waste Management Private Limited. It also aims to provide employment to people.
- Skyroot India’s first private company to test upper-stage rocket engine Aerospace startup Skyroot Aerospace has successfully test-fired an upper-stage rocket engine, becoming the first Indian private company to demonstrate the capability to
build a homegrown rocket engine. The 3-D printed rocket engine has been named
Raman. Skyroot Aerospace is headquartered in Hyderabad, Telangana.
9. Microwave device ‘Atulya’ to disintegrate novel Coronavirus unveiled by Nitin Gadkari
A microwave device named Atulya that can disinfect any premises in just 30 seconds, disintegrating COVID-19 virus was unveiled by Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Nitin Gadkari in Nagpur. It is Made in India under the aegis of MSME.
10. Launch of Pavitrapati and Aushada Tara
Pune based Defence Institute of Advanced Technology, DIAT (DU) developed a Nanofibres of Ayurvedic based Biodegradable Face Mask which acts a virus neutraliser to resist against the bacteria/virus. ‘Aushada Tara’ is an anti-microbial bodysuit by DIAT. DIAT recently won first prize in Smart India Hackathon 2020.
11. BEML teams up with IIT-Kanpur for pilotless aircraft, UAVs
Bengaluru headquartered BEML collaborated with IIT-Kanpur for joint indigenous development of pilotless target aircraft (PTA) and tactical unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). They would synergise respective capabilities and undertake testing & development. These products to substitute the currently imported UAVs & PTAs.
12. ISRO, IISc Bengaluru develop a sustainable process to make space bricks on the lunar surface
Indian Space Research Organisation and the Indian Institute of Science in Bengaluru has developed a sustainable process to make space bricks on the lunar surface. The process enables making load-bearing bricks by using lunar soil, bacteria and guar beans. These bricks have been named as ‘Space Bricks’.
13. Zydus Cadila launches India’s cheapest Remdesivir version Remdac
Zydus Cadila launches the generic version of Remdesivir, under the brand name Remdac, for treating patients suffering from severe symptoms of Covid-19. Priced at Rs 2,800 ($37.44) per 100 mg vial, Remdac is the most economical Remdesivir brand as on date. It is the 5th company to launch a generic version of Remdesivir.
14. ISRO shares an image of moon crater captured by Chandrayaan-2 names it ‘Vikram Sarabhai’
Indian Space Research Organisation announced that Chandryaan-2 captured images of the Moon & named one of the craters after Vikram Sarabhai. Sarabhai Crater is around 250 to 300 kilometres east of the crater where the Apollo 17 and Luna 21 Missions landed. Sarabhai is the father of the Indian space programme.
15. DRDO lab develops ‘NOTESCLEAN’ sanitization device
Hyderabad based, DRDO lab has developed this sanitization device, where one has to place the loose currency notes at the input slot of the device. It picks the notes one by one and makes them pass through a series of UVC lamps for complete disinfection.
‘DRUVS’ was designed to sanitise gadgets, notes & cheques.
16. The mumbai-based firm sets up India’s first manufacturing unit for Li-ion battery components
According to the company press release, graphite anodes comprise 25 per cent volume in LiB cells and are the highest single material component in a cell’s chemistry. Till now, China supplies more than 80 per cent of the global demand for graphite anodes. Vikram Handa, managing director of Epsilon Carbon.
17. Indian satellite AstroSat detects extreme ultraviolet (UV) light from the galaxy
According to Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA) AstroSat, India’s first multi-wavelength satellite has detected an extreme ultraviolet (UV) light from a galaxy which is 9.3 billion light-years away from Earth. Discovery was made by a team of astronomer led by Dr Kanak Saha.
- Scientists derive biofuel from algae to boost India’s clean energy efforts Indian scientists, under the INSPIRE programme of ministry of science and technology, have developed low-cost biodiesel from microalgae. The technique to use
microalgae is developed by a team of scientists from the NIT, Tiruchirappalli. Govt of
India approved this INSPIRE Scheme in November 2008.
19. ARIES astronomers trace the mystery behind dwarf galaxy aberrations of massive star formation
Scientists observing dozens of such galaxies using two Indian telescopes have found that the clue to this strange behaviour of these galaxies lies in the disturbing hydrogen distribution in these galaxies and also in recent collisions between two galaxies.
Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES).
20. IIT Bombay students launch AI-powered document scanning app
AIR Scanner app does not collect any information about the user and all the documents are stored in the phone’s local storage. Any cloud storage to store the documents of the users has not been used. The app guarantees complete user security. Ban on the Chinese app called CamScanner was recently made.
1. AFAC Commandant assumes office
Air Commodore Rajnish Verma assumed office as the Commandant of Air Force Administrative College (AFAC), Coimbatore. He took the charge from Air Commodore
S.R. Menon, who assumed charge of AFAC in May 2018 and retired after completing 33 years of service. Air Force Administrative College, Founded: 1949.
2. DAC approves procurement proposals worth Rs 8,722.38 crore
To strengthen the Armed Forces by relying on indigenous capability the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved capital acquisitions of various platforms and equipment required by Indian Armed Forces. Proposals cost Rs 8722.38 crore, approximately. Union Minister of Defence: Rajnath Singh.
3. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launches SRIJAN portal for Indigenization in Defence Sector
Defence Minister has launched a portal SRIJAN which is a one-stop-shop online portal that provides access to the vendors to take up items for indigenization. This is to help industry partners to play an active role towards self-reliance in the defence sector. Minister of State for Defence: Subhash Bhamre.
4. Indian Navy begins three-day Naval Commanders Conference
The Conference assumes greater significance in the backdrop of recent events on our northern borders, coupled with the unprecedented challenges posed by COVID-19 and would provide the higher naval leadership a forum to discuss the conduct of operations, etc., Rajnath Singh to address the inaugural session of the conference
5. Indian Troops To Participate In Military Exercise In Russia With China, Pakistan
India to send a tri-services contingent of around 200 personnel to Southern Russia in September for participating in a multi-lateral Kavkaz-2020 exercise. Along with other countries, troops of China and Pakistan are also likely to participate in the event. The exercise is being held in the Astrakhan province of Russia.
6. DRDO sets up a 5-member committee to overhaul its labs to meet future defence needs
DRDO constituted a 5-member committee, headed by the IIT-Delhi director professor V. Ramagopal Rao to overhaul its 52 laboratories for current and future defence and battlefield needs. This is the 2nd attempt being made in recent years to overhaul the DRDO. DRDO chief Satheesh Reddy received a 2-year extension recently.
7. India withdraws from a multilateral military exercise in Russia
India has announced that it is withdrawing from multilateral Military Exercise Kavkaz 2020 to be held in Russia. In view of Pandemic & consequent difficulties in exercise, including arrangements of logistics, India has decided not to send a contingent.
Defence Minister: Rajnath Singh.
Books & Author
1. Matthew McConaughey to Release First Memoir ‘Greenlights’
The Oscar-winner took to social media to announce the publication of his upcoming book, ‘Greenlights’ (Crown Publishing), inspired by his personal writings that he’s done throughout his life. Greenlights will be the actor’s “love letter to life”. Matthew starred in Christopher Nolan’s sci-fi film Interstellar.
2. Anand Neelakantan’s 2nd book in Bahubali trilogy to hit stands
The much-awaited second book in the famed “Bahubali” trilogy will see a worldwide release on August 8. The book, titled “Chaturanga”, is written by bestselling author and screenwriter Anand Neelakantan. It captures an eventful journey of Sivagami. “The Rise of Sivagami”, the first book in the series.
3. Education Minister releases the NCERT eight-week alternative academic calendar for upper primary stage developed under the guidance
It is meant to engage students meaningfully during their stay at home due to COVID- 19 through educational activities at home with the help of their parents and teachers, the alternative academic calendars for students, parents and teachers. Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, Union Education Minister.
4. Gajendra Singh Shekhawat & Smt Smriti Irani launch the book ‘Swachh Bharat Kranti’
Union Minister of Jal Shakti and Union Minister of Textiles and Women & Child Development launched the book “The Swachh Bharat Revolution”. The book edited by Parameswaran Iyer has been translated into Hindi and published by as the Swachh Bharat Kranti. Parameswaran Iyer, Secy of Deptt. of Drinking Water & Sanitation.
5. Biography of India’s youngest Basketball captain, “Vishesh: Code To Win”
set to release
A new book on the inspirational story of Vishesh Bhriguvanshi, India’s youngest basketball team captain, will hit stands on August 29, the National Sports Day, announced publishing house Bluerose. It is written by sportswoman-turned- author Nirupama Yadav. 29-year-old Bhriguvanshi hails from Uttar Pradesh’s Varanasi.
6. Mizoram Governor Sreedharan Pillai writes 13 books during coronavirus lockdown
Mizoram Governor, P S Sreedharan Pillai, from Kerala, penned 13 books including one of the poems titled ‘Corona Kavithakal’. He has already written over 120 books.
Corona Kavithakal, Republic 2020 and Thus Speaks the Governor were released recently. Mizoram Chief Minister: Zoramthanga.
7. Union Defence Minister to release a book chronicling the Vice President’s
third year in office
A book chronicling the third year in office of the Vice President of India, M. Venkaiah Naidu titled ‘Connecting, Communicating, Changing’ to be released by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh. VP Naidu completes three years in office on August 11. It has been brought out by Publications Division of MeITY.
8. ‘A Bend in Time’: Pandemic through the eyes of children
Book titled ‘A Bend in Time: Writings by Children’ on the Covid-19 pandemic is a collection of 12 engrossing stories and essays by children and young adults from
across India. Its introduction is written by award-winning children’s author Bijal Vachharajani. Published by Talking Cub (children’s imprint of Speaking Tiger).
- Ex-Vice Marshal Subramaniam pens book on conflicts since 1972 Retired Air Vice Marshal Arjun Subramaniam to come out with a comprehensive account of war and conﬂict in contemporary India over the past ﬁve decades. Full
Spectrum: India’s Wars, 1972-2020 is a sequel to India’s Wars: A Military History
1947-1971. The book will be published by HarperCollins India.
10. Sharon Stone’s memoir to hit bookshelves in March 2021
Actor Sharon Stone’s memoir “The Beauty of Living Twice” to release in March 2021. She will also write about her two marriages, her near-fatal stroke in 2001 and her humanitarian work on behalf of AIDS research. It will be published by Alfred A Knopf. Casino earned her an Academy Award Nomination.
11. Michael Cohen book ‘Disloyal: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump’ to be published
Michael Cohen is completing the last two years of a three-year prison sentence at home after pleading guilty to campaign finance charges and lying to Congress.
Skyhorse Publishing is the publisher of the book. US govt recently lifted a ban on Cohen speaking publicly.
12. “National Security Challenges: Young Scholars’ Perspective”, Book On National Security released
Army Chief General MM Naravane released a book titled “National Security Challenges: Young Scholars’ Perspective” penned by university students. The book has been published by the Army think-tank Centre for Land Warfare Studies (CLAWS). Lt Gen (Dr) Vijay Kumar Ahluwalia: Director-General, CLAWS.
1. Country’s first Kisan Special Parcel Train begins to provide a seamless supply of perishable produce
The country’s first Kisan Rail will start from August 7th. The train will transport material between Maharashtra’s Devlali and Bihar’s Danapur Railway station. The Kisan Rail will carry fruits and vegetables and will make stoppages at several stations. With the launch, Railways aims to help double farmers’ income.
2. Online patriotic film festival organized by National Film Development Corporation begins
National Film Development Corporation is organizing a first of its kind, online patriotic film festival. The festival is a part of Independence Day Celebrations by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. It will run till the 21st of August. NFDC HQ- Mumbai, Formed on- 1975, MD- T.C.A Kalyani.
3. Paytm launches portable Android-based POS device for ₹ 499/month
Paytm launched an Android-based pocket-sized point of sale (POS) device named ‘Paytm All-in-One Portable Android Smart POS’ that is enabled with integrated billing software, camera for QR scanning and supports 4G SIM cards Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
connectivity. It is available for an introductory monthly rental of ₹ 499.
4. Google launches ‘The Anywhere School’ with over 50 new features
To help students learning from home, Google has announced a new initiative called The Anywhere School bringing over 50 new features across Meet, Classroom, G Suite and other products to hundreds of viewers in more than 250 countries around the world. Classroom to be made available in 10 additional languages.
1. Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh passes away
Rajya Sabha MP and former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh passed away. Singh’s political career was known for his contacts across sectors, his managerial skills and fund-raising capabilities. He was once called ‘Corporate Thakur’ by a rival leader. Amar Singh Constituency: Uttar Pradesh.
2. Padma Shri awardee Sonam Tshering Lepcha dies at 92
Folk musician and Padma Shri awardee Sonam Tshering Lepcha passed away at Kalimpong. He travelled to various parts of Sikkim and complied a wide range of Indian folk and traditional Lepcha songs and played folk music on All India Radio in 1960. He was awarded Padma Shri for his contribution to folk music.
3. UP Cabinet minister Kamal Rani Varun passes away
UP’s Cabinet minister for Technical Education Kamal Rani Varun succumbed to COVID-
- Currently, Kamal Rani was MLA from Ghatampur in Kanpur. In the past, she was also a Member of Parliament in the Lok Sabha twice. Speaker of the UP Legislative Assembly- Hriday Narayan Dixit.
4. Theatre maestro Ebrahim Alkazi passes away
Considered the father of modern Indian theatre, Ebrahim Alkazi, the first Director of National School of Drama (NSD) passed away. He was 94. Also an art connoisseur, collector and gallery owner, he founded Art Heritage Gallery in New Delhi. He was the recipient of the Padma Vibhushan (2010).
5. Nobel Peace Prize winner John Hume dies at 83
John Hume, the visionary politician who won a Nobel Peace Prize for fashioning the agreement that ended violence in his native Northern Ireland, has died at 83. He ultimately relented and became pivotal in peace-making efforts. 1st Nobel Peace Prize awardees Frederic Passy and Henry Dunant.
6. Former Maharashtra CM Shivajirao Patil Nilangekar passes away in Pune
Former Maharashtra chief minister Shivajirao Patil Nilangekar (89) passed away at Pune. Nilangekar, a Congress leader, who belonged to Latur in the Marathwada region, was Maharashtra CM between June 1985 and March 1986. Uddhav Thackeray: Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
7. Former India international footballer Manitombi Singh passes away
Former India international footballer Laishram Manitombi Singh passed away, aged
- He was from Manipur. Representing the Blue Tigers in 2002, he was part of the famous India U-23 squad that won the LG Cup. He also played in the Asian Games. India football team captain: Sunil Chhetri; Coach: Igor Štimac.
8. Ex-MP Nandi Yellaiah passes away
Veteran Congress leader Nandi Yellaiah, who was elected to Lok Sabha six times & Rajya Sabha twice died. He began his political career as a corporation of Hyderabad Municipal Corporation. He was a close associate of former Chief Minister Marri Channa Reddy. He was first elected to Lok Sabha from Siddipet.
9. Noted Kashmiri academician Agha Ashraf Ali is no more
Ashraf Ali, 98, worked tirelessly for many decades for the education of people of Kashmir. He is believed to responsible for the education revolution among Muslims in Kashmir. He was a renowned public orator and spoke on history, education and politics. He delivered lectures in colleges after retirement.
10. Renowned lyricist & poet Rahat Indori passes away
In Madhya Pradesh, Noted Urdu poet & lyricist Rahat Indori died of cardiac arrest in Indore. He was tested positive for COVID-19. With a 50-year career in poetry, Indori was known for the lyrics of hit films like Munnabhai MBBS, Kareeb, Ghatak and Ishq. He was also a painter and a professor of Urdu language.
11. Social Activist, Academic and Author Ilina Sen Passes Away
Author, activist and academic Ilina Sen, who had been suffering from cancer for several years, passed away. Ilina, who spent many years in Chhattisgarh and worked with several trade unions and Adivasi organisations, had moved to academics a decade ago. Books-A space within the struggle, Migrant woman of Chhattisgarh
12. Anandatheertha, the sage who lived for Kaveri, dies
Anandatheertha, who lived a life of intense commitment to the Kaveri, has died in a landslide in Talakaveri. Anandatheertha was involved in saving the Western Ghats and the Cauvery from human encroachments and destruction. Kaveri flows through the states of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
13. Noted Tamil film lyricist PK Muthusamy passes away
Noted yesteryear Tamil film lyricist PK Muthusami passed away in Namakkal. He was to complete his 100th birthday this year. Famous songs composed by Muthusami
include ‘Mapilai vendor’ and ‘Chinna Chinna nadai nadandu’ etc. He had penned many
memorable Tamil film lyrics.
14. ViacomCBS head Sumner Redstone passes away at 97
Media magnate Sumner Redstone who headed Viacom Inc and CBS has passed away. He has been credited with building a media empire and heading many high-profile takeovers in his career. He was the chairman of the board of the National Amusements theatre chain. CBS is American commercial broadcast television.
15. Congress leader Rajiv Tyagi passes away
Congress spokesperson Rajiv Tyagi died of a heart attack shortly after he finished an intense discussion on a Hindi news channel on the violence in Bengaluru. He was regularly participating in TV debates. Tyagi was 52 years old. The Indian National Congress was founded in 1885.
16. Model, designer Simar Dugal no more
Model-turned-designer Simar Dugal, 52, passed away after a battle with cancer. Tributes poured in from the fashion and film industry. She also modelled for Kumar’s book The Costumes and Textiles of Royal India apart from her signature Tree of Life designs. World Cancer Day: February 4.
17. UPCA president Yadupati Singhania passes away
Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association (UPCA, the governing body of the Cricket activities in the Uttar Pradesh) president Yadupati Singhania died in Singapore. He was engaged in promoting cricket in the UP and helped the sport reach new heights in the state.
Chairman of UPCA: Gopal Sharma.
18. Digital imaging pioneer Russell Kirsch dies at 91
Russell Kirsch, whose research from the ’50s underlies the entire field of digital imaging, died. His famous accomplishment is the first scanned digital image – decades before the first digital camera. Kirsch continued to work on early AI until retirement.
He attended NYU, Harvard and MIT.
19. Former Indian cricketer and Uttar Pradesh Minister Chetan Chauhan passes away
Former Indian cricketer and Uttar Pradesh minister Chetan Chauhan passed away following multiple organ failure. He was 73 and was tested positive for COID-19. Chauhan was Minister of Sainik Welfare, Home Guards, PRD and Civil Security in the UP Cabinet. He played 40 Tests scoring 2084 runs with 16 half-centuries.
20. US President Donald Trump’s younger brother Robert Trump dies
Donald Trump’s younger brother, Robert Trump, a businessman known for an even keel passed away after being hospitalised in the ICU. He started his career on Wall Street but later joined family business, holding as top executive in the Trump
Organisation. At work, he was often referred to as the ‘Nice Trump’.
21. Filmmaker Nishikant Kamat Dies At 50
Nishikant Kamat was best-known for directing the Hindi remake of Malayalam hit Drishyam. He also directed Irrfan Khan in Madaariand Mumbai Meri Jaan, and John Abraham in Force and Rocky Handsome. He also acted in Rocky Handsome and some other films. His Dombivali Fast won the National Award for Best Marathi Film.
22. Legendary Indian classical vocalist Pandit Jasraj passes away
Legendary Indian classical vocalist Pandit Jasraj passed away. His music career spanned over 8 decades. He was honoured with Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan & Sangeet Natak Academy Award. He also lent vocals to Oscar-winning movie, Life of Pie. He belonged to Mewati Gharana school of music.
23. Former India goalkeeper Bhaskar Maity dies aged 67
Former India goalkeeper Bhaskar Maity died due to brain haemorrhage. He represented India against Iraq during the 1978 Asian Games in Bangkok. He played for Maharashtra from 1975 to 1979 in the Santosh Trophy. He was the coach of RCF Football team. All India Football Federation President: Praful Patel.
24. Tennis player and equal rights pioneer Angela Buxton dies at 85
Former British tennis player, two-time Grand Slam doubles champion and equal rights pioneer Angela Buxton has died. Buxton, who had Jewish heritage and was targeted by anti-Semitic abuse during her career, was a doubles partner and friend of Althea Gibson. Buxton won Wimbledon alongside Gibson in 1956.
25. Film academician Father Gaston Roberge passes away
Film academician Father Gaston Roberge who mentored thousands of young filmmakers in his three-decade-long career died. He was 85. He started television programmes for UGC for Doordarshan National TV channel which is still running. Doordarshan, Motto-Satyam Shivam Sundaram.
26. Renowned folk musician Archana Mahanta dies
One of Assam’s legendary singers, Archana Mahanta, who was at home in both the traditional and modern genres and belonged to a committed generation of singers for whom singing was a “devotional” act, died. She was part of the famous Archana Mahanta-Khagen Mahanta duo.
27. Arnold Spielberg, Computer Designer and Father of Steven Spielberg, Dies at 103
In 1960, Arnold Spielberg helped design the GE-225 mainframe computer that enabled researchers at Dartmouth College to develop the coding tool known as BASIC, which ushered in the era of personal computers.He assisted his son in the making of Firelight. Arnold Meyer Spielberg was born in Cincinnati.
28. Veteran Athletics coach Purshottam Rai dies at 79
Veteran athletics coach Purshottam Rai died due to a cardiac arrest in Bengaluru. He was to be conferred the prestigious Dronacharya Award in the lifetime category at the age of 79. He has coached many of top athletes Olympian like quarter-miler Vandana Rao He coached Indian team for 1987 World Athletics Championship.
29. ‘Black Panther’ star Chadwick Boseman passes away at 43
Chadwick Boseman, who played Black icons Jackie Robinson and James Brown before finding fame as Black Panther in the Marvel cinematic universe, died of cancer. He was
- Black Panther was the first major superhero movie with an African protagonist. Black Panther movie has won three Academy Awards
- Former Supreme Court judge, Justice AR Lakshmanan passes away Justice AR Lakshmanan served at the Supreme Court from 2002-2007. Prior to his elevation, he was a judge at the Madras and Kerala High Court. He also served as
Chief Justice of the Andhra Pradesh & Rajasthan High Courts. He was 78 years old. He
was also Chairman of the Eighteenth Law Commission of India.
- Congress MP and Vasanth & Co-founder H Vasanthakumar dies at 70 Tamil Nadu Congress Committee Working President and MP from Kanyakumari H Vasanthakumar died. He was 70. He was the founder of Vasanth & Co, a successful
chain of consumer electronics and home appliances stores. Vasanthakumar’s niece is
BJP leader Tamilisai Soundararajan.
32. Joe Ruby, TV writer and producer who co-created Scooby-Doo, dies at 87
Joe Ruby, who helped invigorate children’s television as the co-creator of Scooby-Doo, the long-running animated franchise about a group of teenage private eyes and their chicken-hearted, snack-guzzling Great Dane, died. He was 87. Mr Ruby and Spears were considered the show’s co-creators.
33. Former Indian TT Player Nipjyoti Barua Succumbs to COVID-19
Assam’s Nipjyoti Barua, who represented India in various Table Tennis championships, passed away. He played for India in the IVth Junior Asian Cup TT Championship 1989 held at New Delhi and the US Open TT 1990 held at Baltimore USA. Assam, Chief Minister- Sarbananda Sonowal.
Person in News
- Sehwag Sardar in 12-member selection panel for National Sports Awards The other members of the committee include former table tennis player Monalisa Baruah Mehta, boxer Venkatesan Devarajan as well as sports commentator, Manish
Batavia and journalists Alok Sinha and Neeru Bhatia. National sports awards given on
Aug, 29. Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) CEO: Rajesh Rajagopalan.
2. Hamilton wins British GP to close in on Schumacher’s record
Lewis Hamilton held on to win the British Grand Prix despite a puncture on the last lap to clinch an 87th career win and move within four of Michael Schumacher’s Formula One record. Hamilton set a track record & secured a record-extending 91st career pole. Hamilton finished 6 seconds ahead of Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.
3. Jaideep Bhatnagar takes over as Director-General of AIR News
Mr Jaideep Bhatnagar, an Indian Information Service Officer of 1986 batch, has taken over the charge as Director General, News Services Division of All India Radio. He replaces Ms Ira Joshi, who superannuated as Principal Director General, AIR News.
4. Sandro Wagner retires from football at the age of 32
Former Bayern Munich and Germany striker Sandro Wagner have surprisingly hung up his boots at the age of 32. Wagner also appeared for Werder Bremen, Hertha BSC and Hoffenheim among others, Wagner won the UEFA U21 2009 European Championships.
5. Geojit Announces Appointment of Alice G. Vaidyan to the Board
Geojit Financial Services Ltd announced the appointment of Alice G. Vaidyan as Independent Non- Executive Director to the Company’s Board of Directors. Ms Vaidyan started her career with New India Assurance Co. Ltd in 1983. C J George, Founder and Managing Director of Geojit.
6. Iker Casillas officially announces retirement
Former Spain and Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas officially announced the end of his playing days. Casillas played 725 matches with Madrid’s first team over 16 seasons, winning 19 titles. He joined the club at age 9. Iker Casillas played 167 matches for Spain.
7. Ex-BMC chief Praveen Pardeshi to head UN crisis response team
Former BMC Commissioner Praveen Pardeshi will soon join United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) as global programme coordinator. The Appointments Committee of the cabinet of the Central government has approved his UN posting. In 2018, he was appointed BMC commissioner.
8. Nippon Life India AMC appoints Parekh Ashvin as Independent Director
Parekh Ashvin has been appointed as an independent director of Nippon Life India Asset Management (NAM India), asset manager of Nippon India Mutual Fund (NIMF) for a period of five years. He has more than 40 years of rich experience. Sundeep Sikka, Executive Director& CEO, Nippon India Mutual Fund.
9. Akshay Kumar the only Indian in Forbes 2020 list of 10 highest-paid male actors
With estimated earnings of $48.5 million, Akshay ranks at number six on the list, though his rank has dropped two notches from last year. This year, Hollywood star Dwayne Johnson has topped the list for the second year in a row with $87.5 million. Ryan Reynolds with $71.5 million came second.
- Startup eBikeGO ropes in cricketer Harbhajan Singh as brand ambassador Amritsar based Electric mobility start-up eBikeGO has roped in Indian Cricketer Harbhajan Singh as its brand ambassador. Through the association, the company is
aiming to build mass appeal, positive voice and widespread adoption for electric
mobility. eBikeGo Founder and CEO: T Irfan Khan.
11. Indian Idol Fame Shahzan Mujeeb Signed As First-Ever National Brand Ambassador Of Aligarh Municipal Corporation
Aligarh Municipal Corporation (AMC) has recently roped in Indian Idol Season 11 Finalist and Oscar Nominated Playback Singer Shahzan Mujeeb as its First-Ever National Brand Ambassador for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Campaign at National and International level. Mujeeb is also a music director & composer by profession.
12. Deepika Padukone Becomes The Face Of ‘Melange By Lifestyle’
Lifestyle International Pvt Ltd appointed Deepika Padukone as the brand ambassador of Melange. Part of Dubai based retail and hospitality conglomerate, The Landmark Group, Lifestyle retails apparel, footwear, handbags, fashion accessories and beauty products. Lifestyle HQ: Bengaluru. CEO: Rishi Vasudev.
13. Cricketer Rohit Sharma appointed Oakley’s brand ambassador in India
Performance sports eyewear brand Oakley announced the appointment of cricketer Rohit Sharma as its new brand ambassador for a period of two years in India. He joins the likes of Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh and Milind Soman who have endorsed the brand before. Oakley HQ: California, USA. Chairman: Jim Jannard.
14. Mountaineer Anita Kundu to get ‘Tenzing Norgay National Adventure
Indian Mountaineer Anita Kundu, a resident of Hisar, will get the ‘Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award’ on August 29. She is the first Indian woman to climb Mount Everest from both the Indian and Chinese sides. President Ram Nath Kovid will be conferring the award.
15. 20-Year Old Neelakanta Bhanu Prakash Bags ‘World’s Fastest Human Calculator’ Title
Neelakanta Bhanu Prakash of Hyderabad has emerged as the fastest human calculator in the world after winning first-ever gold for India in Mental Calculation World Championship at Mind Sports Olympiad (MSO) held in London. The MSO was first held in 1998. He broke records of Scott Flansburg and Shakuntala Devi.
16. James Anderson Becomes First Fast Bowler To Take 600 Test Wickets
England’s James Anderson became the first fast bowler to take 600 Test wickets. Only Muttiah Muralitharan, Shane Warne, and Anil Kumble had previously broken the 600- wicket barrier in the longest format of the game. Glenn McGrath took 563 Test wickets. Anderson made his Test debut in 2003 against Zimbabwe.
17. Badminton player Ayaka Takahashi announces retirement
Ayaka Takahashi, who won Japan’s first Olympic gold medal in badminton along with Misaki Matsutomo, defeating Denmark team has retired at the age of thirty. She has announced that she will retire at the end of the month. Badminton World Federation HQs- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
18. Bhaichung Bhutia to have a stadium in Sikkim named after him
Bhaichung Bhutia is set to become the first Indian footballer to have a stadium named after him. The stadium is situated in Namchi- 25 kilometres from
the legendary footballer’s birthplace, Tinkitam in the district of South Sikkim. Bhaichung, 1st Indian footballer to play100 int’l matches.
19. Legendary tennis pair Bryan brothers announce retirement
Identical twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, now 42, are leaving the sport in the same way they had won tournament after tournament in a decade-spanning three decades- together. They finish their legendary careers with a 1,108-359 team win-loss record. They captured an Open Era record 119 trophies in 26 seasons.
20. Lewis Hamilton wins Belgian Grand Prix, now two behind Michael
Lewis Hamilton led from start to finish at the Belgian Grand Prix to clinch his 89th career win. He was untroubled from pole position, beating his Mercedes’s Valtteri Bottas by eight seconds. He extended his championship lead over Verstappen to 47 points. This was Hamilton’s fifth win from seven races.
21. Tharanga Paranavitana retires from international cricket
Tharanga Paranavitana, the 38-year old Sri Lanka batsman, has announced his retirement from international cricket. Known as an old-school opener, he played 32 Test matches for his country, scoring 1792 runs including two hundreds and 11 fifties. Paranavitana made his Test debut against Pakistan in Feb. 2009.
22. ISL Side Chennaiyin FC Appoint Csaba Laszlo As Head Coach For 2020-21 Season
He has more than two decades of coaching experience at the club and international level. The Romania-born Laszlo had coaching stints in eight countries, including two national teams — Uganda and Lithuania. Laszlo replaced Owen Coyle. Chennaiyin FC co-owner Vita Dani said, Laszlo.
1. Airtel Payments Bank ties up with Bharti AXA General Insurance to offer Shop Insurance for its retailers and merchants
Airtel Payments Bank’s Smart Plan Shop Package policy along with Bharti AXA General Insurance, provides financial protection in case of damage to assets inside the shop due to fire and allied perils, burglary, etc. Sum Insured: Rs 2 Lakhs- Rs 25 lakhs. Airtel Payments Bank HQ- New Delhi, Bharti AXA HQ- Mumbai.
2. LIC unveils campaign to revive lapsed policies
State-owned Insurance Group, Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has announced a special scheme to revive lapsed policies. The ‘Special Revival Campaign’ is open till October 9 during which customers can revive their individual lapsed policies. LIC Headquarters: Mumbai. Chairperson: M R Kumar.
3. Edelweiss Tokio Life partners with Element AI for AI transformation journey
The Element AI Advisory and Enablement team will work closely with Edelweiss Tokio Life to create an actionable roadmap for strategic AI deployment for the company, which will ultimately support a detailed AI transformation plan. Edelweiss launched its pan-India operations in July 2011.
4. COVID-19: Bajaj Allianz pitches for ‘pandemic pool’
With the rise in COVID-19 cases in the country, Bajaj Allianz has called for setting up a ‘pandemic pool’, on the lines of the terrorism pool, to cover claims arising out of pandemics. Under this, a corpus is created by industry stakeholders & govt. India has a terrorism pool since 2002, administered by GIC.
5. Digit Insurance launches an Online Do-it-yourself insurance advisory tool for SMEs & Start-ups
This is part of Digit’s initiative to make insurance simpler & relevant to the smaller businesses that are more susceptible to risks, especially with the ongoing pandemic. Digit recently won ‘Insurance Start-up of the Year-India’ Awards by Insurance Asia. The advisory tool is named as ‘SME Buddy’.
6. SBI General Insurance Launches ‘Shagun-Gift an insurance’ policy
It is a unique gift of Personal Accident policy. The key differentiating feature of the policy is that it can be gifted to anyone we want, which means it is not necessary for the policy buyer to be related to the insured. PC Kandpal- MD and CEO of SBI General Insurance.
7. Universal Sompo General Insurance partners with BSE Ebix Insurance Broking Private Limited
The partnership will offer Universal Sompo’s recently launched Corona Kavach cover, a short-term policy to cover COVID-19 related hospitalization expenses through BSE Ebix’s certified Point of Salesperson (PoSPs). It offers sums insured ranging from Rs 50,000 to Rs 5 lakhs.
8. Religare Health Insurance Co renamed Care Health Insurance
Religare Health Insurance is an Indian health insurance firm established in June 2012, by Religare enterprise limited, Union Bank of India and Corporation Bank. The company is headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana. Ashok Mehta- CEO of Religare Health Insurance.
9. In a first, Bajaj Allianz General Insurance launches comprehensive Pet Dog Insurance
This policy will provide comprehensive coverage to domesticated pet dogs of indigenous origin, pedigree, non-pedigree, cross-bred, & also exotic breeds over the lifetime of the dogs from age 3 months to 10 years. The product comes with one mandatory cover. Bajaj Allianz General Insurance, CEO-Tapan Singhel.
10. Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance & Andhra Pragathi Grameena Bank tie-up
Tie up with the bank will provide an opportunity & onus to create awareness in the rural market about the need of having life insurance, health insurance and pension plans. The distribution tie-up is for selling Life insurance, health and pension products. Anuj Mathur, MD & CEO, Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce.
India & World
1. India contributes over $15 million to India-UN Development Partnership Fund
India has contributed $15.46 million to the India-UN Development Partnership Fund, underscoring the country’s commitment to supporting developing nations in their developmental priorities across all the Sustainable Development Goals. India’s Permanent Representative to UN- T S Tirumurti.
2. India extends Line of Credit worth 18 million dollars to Maldives
India has extended Line of Credit worth $18 million to the Government of Maldives for the expansion of fishing facilities at MIFCO. It is part of the $800 million line of credit offered by India with repayment tenor of 20 years and a 5-year moratorium. MIFCO- Maldives Industrial Fisheries Company.
3. India, Maldives ink contract for development of five eco-tourism zones in Addu atoll of island nation
India & Maldives signed a contract for development of five eco-tourism zones in Addu atoll. These are part of grant projects being implemented under the High-Impact Community Development project scheme with grant assistance of $ 5.5 million to the Maldives. Currently, there are 9 high-impact projects being implemented.
4. India announces USD 500 million assistance for major connectivity project in the Maldives
India to fund the implementation of a connectivity project in the Maldives through a USD 400 million lines of credit and USD 100 million grant. The 6.7 km Greater Male Connectivity Project (GMCP) will be the largest civilian infrastructure project in the Maldives. GMCP connects Male with three neighbouring islands.
5. India set to receive funding of $30 million in tranches over the next 5 years from Coralogix, Israel
Israel’s Coralogix, ML-based log analysis, and monitoring solution provider have announced a strategic expansion to India to provide its customers with its first local Amazon Web Services (AWS) regional server support and data storage capabilities. Ariel Assaraf: CEO, and co-Founder, Coralogix.
6. Tricolour hoisted for the first time at New York’s Times Square to celebrate India’s 74th Independence Day
The tricolour was hoisted for the first time at the iconic Times Square in New York to celebrate India’s Independence Day. India’s Consul General in New York, Randhir Jaiswal hoisted the flag. It was organised by the Federation of Indian Associations(FIA). FIA is among the largest umbrella diaspora organisations.
7. India Extends USD 1 Million Assistance To Antigua, Barbuda To Combat COVID-19
India extended assistance of $ 1 million to Antigua and Barbuda to combat the COVID-
- It is aimed at improving health infrastructure and capacities in Antigua and Barbuda. USD 1 million, has been offered to each Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country. CARICOM is a group of 20 developing countries in the Caribbean.
8. India-Nigeria signed MoU on space cooperation
India and Nigeria signed an agreement on space co-operation. The MoU envisages India-Nigeria collaboration in space science, planetary exploration, ground stations,
development of micro and mini satellites and joint space research and development. Nigeria Capital: Abuja. Currency: Nigerian naira.
9. India calls for real-time information sharing among BRICS nations to tackle drug menace
The 4th meeting of BRICS anti-drug working group was held recently. India called for real-time information sharing among BRICS nations to tackle the drug menace. The meeting focused on misuse of darknet and other advanced technologies for drug trafficking. Director-General of Narcotics Control Bureau: Rakesh Asthana.
10. EU launches 1-mn-euro project in Maharashtra, Odisha for skilling women in housing sector
To help drive change towards sustainable housing through empowering women, European Union launched a 1-million-euro project in 4 districts of Maharashtra and Odisha under which it will train 3,000 women in masonry, plumbing and electrical fitting, etc., It is implemented by not-for-profit Habitat for Humanity India.
11. NPCI launches international unit to expand the reach of UPI
National Payments Corp. of India launched international unit, NPCI International Payments Ltd to expand real-time payment system Unified Payments Interface & card payment network RuPay in other countries. UPI & RuPay are already present in Singapore & UAE. NIPL will be headed by Ritesh Shukla as Chief Executive Officer.
12. MEA in partnership with Foreign Ministry of Thailand organize 6th Round Table of AINTT
The theme of the 2-day Round Table ASEAN-India Network of Think Tanks which was conducted through video conferencing was ‘ASEAN-India: Strengthening
Partnership in the Post COVID Era’. AINTT was established in the 7th ASEAN-India Summit in Thailand in 2009. ASEAN Secretary-General- Lim Jock Hoi; HQ- Jakarta, Indonesia.
13. India, Israel sign cultural agreement to further boost people-to-people ties
Israel’s Foreign Minister Gabi Ashkenazi and India’s Ambassador to Israel, Sanjeev Singla signed the agreement. Programme of cooperation between the 2 countries for the years 2020-23 is based on the cultural agreement signed between them on 18 May 1993. Israel Capital- Jerusalem, Currency- Shekel.
14. MoS V. Muralitharan co-chairs first India-Uzbekistan National Coordination Committee meeting virtually
MoS for EA co-chaired the first India-Uzbekistan National Coordination Committee for monitoring implementation of mutually agreed projects between the countries with Uzbek Deputy PM for Investments and Foreign Economic Relations Sardor Umurzakov. Discussions were held on LoC, bilateral trade & investment.
15. India, Vietnam agree to add ‘new momentum’ to ties
The decisions were taken at a virtual meeting of the India-Vietnam Joint Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific and Technological Cooperation, co-chaired by Indian foreign minister S Jaishankar and his Vietnamese counterpart Pham Binh Minh.
Vietnam’s President Nguyen Phu Trong.
16. India, Nepal to expand energy cooperation, explore new pipeline
India and Nepal are exploring to see if state-owned Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) could look at another petroleum pipeline that runs into the northern and eastern parts of
India. Nepal is aiming to meet its rising fuel demands by extending cooperation. K. P. Sharma Oli, current Prime Minister of Nepal.
17. DEA holds Sustainable Finance Collaborative consultation with UNDP
The Collaborative saw a host of thematic discussions centred around the broad scope of Sustainable Finance architecture in India. It included dialogues on critical elements such as the barriers to deploying new and innovative financing. Department of Economic Affairs (DEA).
1. Rajasthan solar sector shines bright amidst the gloom, adds max capacity in India
According to a recent survey of states by JMK Research and Analytics, Rajasthan has added maximum capacity of 1,745-megawatt solar plants in the country in 2019-20, followed by Karnataka (1,443 MW) and Tamil Nadu (1,342 MW). The pipeline of projects also remains robust at 23,176 MW.
- Scientists map black swan genome to better understand immune response Australian scientists have mapped the genome of the black swam, a species highly susceptible to the avian flu virus, in order to better understand the immune response
and protect public health. The swans can die from viral infection in 24 hours. Highly
Pathogenic Avian Influenza(HPAI) usually occurs in birds.
3. Centre to launch projects for lion, dolphin conservation
The Centre will soon launch Project Lion and Project Dolphin for the biodiversity conservation of these species on the lines of and to replicate the successes of Project Tiger launched in 1973. Project Dolphin will focus on both river and sea dolphins.
Dolphins are categorised as endangered in the IUCN Red List.
4. Flipkart pledges 100% transition to electric vehicles by 2030
Flipkart to transition completely to the usage of electric vehicles (EVs) by 2030 as part of its sustainability efforts and has joined EV100. Govt is promoting use if EVs with a goal of reaching 30% EV penetration by 2030. It already has EVs in 4-5 cities. EV100 is Climate Group’s global electric mobility initiative.
5. Germany to issue ‘green bonds’ worth up to $13B this year German government plans to generate up to 11 billion euros for clean
transportation and renewable energy projects this year by issuing so-called
green bond. Each green bond will mirror a regular debt issuance by the German government, known as as “bunds”. Germany, Country in Europe, Capital: Berlin.
6. Greenko Energies signs MoU with NTPC for REpower solutions
The company signed a memorandum of understanding with NTPC Vidyut Vyapar Nigam, a wholly-owned subsidiary of NTPC. The objective of the partnership is to explore the possibility of the development of renewable energy-based round-the-clock, flexible power supply. Greenko is backed by GIC and Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.
Apps & Portals
1. Housing Minister Hardeep Singh Puri releases Affordable Rental Housing Complexes Knowledge Pack
This includes MoUs to be signed with States and Union Territories to provide ease of living to urban migrants in the country. The Affordable Housing Complex scheme will be implemented through two models in the country. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) Mission launched in 2015.
- com launches Paisabazaar Stack for digital lending solutions With this a large section of its customers would be able to access credit more rapidly from their homes, with no physical interaction. Digital Stack integrations with
banks & NBFCs will provide unsecured loans within 3-5 hrs as against 3-7
days. Paisabazaar founders: Naveen Kukreja, Yashish Dahiya.
3. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) unveils new platform to help fight food loss, wastage
FAO has unveiled a new platform to help accelerate the global reduction in food loss & waste. The platform will contain information on measurement, reduction policies, alliances, actions and examples of successful models applied to reduce food loss and waste. FAO Director-General, QU Dongyu.
- Indian Railways introduces OHE Inspection app for real-time monitoring Indian Railways has launched an Overhead Equipment (OHE) Inspection app which will help in minimizing the train delays & long waits due to technical snags. App has been
rolled out on a Pan India basis. It has a feature of GPS based tracking of patrolman.
IR recorded 100% punctuality of trains for the 1st time in July.
5. Delhi Airport Develops Online Portal For International Passengers
The Delhi International Airport Limited has developed an online portal that will allow international passengers to fill a mandatory self-declaration form. Eligible passengers can apply for exemption from compulsory institutional quarantine for coronavirus.
Named Air Suvidha, the portal can be accessed via the airport’s website.
6. India launches the app, the website for Handloom Mark Scheme
Textile Min Smriti Irani launched mobile app & backend website for Handloom Mark Scheme (HLM). She also inaugurated the ‘My Handloom’ portal for individual weavers and organisations for applying for various benefits, handloom marketing assistance & awards. National Handloom Day is celebrated on August 7.
7. Union Minister Prakash Javadekar launches portal on Human-Elephant Conflict on World Elephant Day
The Minister for Environment and Forest Prakash Javadekar released a document on Best Practices and launched a portal on Human-Elephant Conflict named SURAKHSYA for World Elephant Day 2020. The world Elephant Day is observed on 12th August every year. Minister of State for Environment and Forest Babul Supriyo.
8. Govt launches e-portal on tribal health & nutrition
Tribal Affairs Minister launched e-portal on tribal health & nutrition, Swasthya. It provides all health-related information of the tribal population on a single platform. The ministry partnered with Facebook for Going Online As Leaders (GOAL) programme. An e-newsletter on health and nutrition ALEKH was also launched.
9. Google launches Kormo app in India
Google expanded its employment android application, Kormo Jobs, to India as it is looking forward for helping job seekers apply for entry-level jobs. It introduced ‘Jobs’ last year in India as part of Google Pay to connect job seekers under the brand Jobs. The app also helps learn new skills and create CVs.
10. Nitin Gadkari launches portal to buy groceries directly from farmers
Nitin Gadkari launched online farm-to-fork service VedKrishi.com promoted by farmers for selling non-toxic farm produce. The platform set-up by Nagpur-based farmer producer organization VedKrishi Farmer Producer Company will home deliver grocery products. Ashish Kaswa – Founder Director of VedKrishi.com.
11. NHAI launches ‘Harit Path’ mobile app to monitor plantation along national highways
Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the app. To commemorate 25 years of NHAI’s service to the nation, it has also recently undertaken ‘Harit Bharat Sankalp’, a nation-wide plantation drive to promote
environmental protection. NHAI Chairman- Sukhbir Singh Sandhu; HQ- New Delhi.
12. Launch of IAF Mobile Application ‘MY IAF’
Air Chief Marshal R K Singh Bhadauria, Chief of Air Staff launched mobile application MY IAF. The app developed in association with the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing provides career-related information & details for those desirous of joining IAF The app was launched as a part of a digital India initiative.
13. SBI integrates YONO Krishi with ICAR IIHR seed portal
YONO Krishi platform has integrated with government’s online seed portal Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR) & Indian Institute of Horticulture Research (IIHR) to serve the agricultural needs of the farmers, right from sowing till harvesting. YONO (You Only Need One), an integrated digital banking platform.
14. Defence Minister launches app for online training of National Cadet Corps cadets
The mobile app, called “DGNCC”, aims at providing NCC cadets all training materials, including syllabus, training videos, and frequently asked questions, on one platform. The NCC imparts values of unity, discipline, service to the nation. Director General NCC, Lieutenant General Rajeev Chopra.
15. CISF launches ‘Pension Corner’ app for its retired personnel
With the help of this new digital initiative, pensioners will get connected to the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) units spread across the country, and receive invitations, over SMS, on important occasions in the nearest unit. CISF Director General Rajesh Ranjan.
Acquisitions & Mergers
1. LIC acquires close to 5% stake in Yes Bank
Life Insurance Corporation acquired close to 5% shareholding in Yes Bank by purchasing 105.98 crore shares from the open market. With the fresh acquisition, the hold of LIC has increased from 0.75% to 4.98%. Prior to this, LIC had 0.75% stake in Yes Bank. LIC Chairperson: M R Kumar. Headquarters: Mumbai.
2. IndusInd Bank Acquires Stakes In Eveready And McLeod Russel India
IndusInd Bank has acquired 7.82% stake in battery maker Eveready Industries India Ltd. by invoking pledged shares following a loan default. The bank invoked pledge on 56,83,320 shares forming 7.82% of paid-up equity share capital of Eveready Industries. IndusInd Bank CEO: Sumant Kathpalia. HQ: Pune.
3. CCI approves proposal for formation of Honda Motor, Hitachi joint venture
Fairtrade regulator approved a combination proposal filed jointly by Keihin Corporation, Nissin Kogyo Co. Ltd., Showa Corporation and Hitachi Automotive Systems Ltd to form a joint venture between Honda Motor Co Ltd (HAMCL) and Hitachi Ltd. HIAMS is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hitachi Ltd.
- Reliance buys majority stake in online pharmacy Netmeds for $83 million The oil-to-telecoms conglomerate Reliance Industries Ltd acquired a majority stake in online pharmacy Netmeds for about 6.2 billion rupees ($83.08 million) in cash, days
after e-commerce giant Amazon.com Inc launched an online drug sales service in
India. Reliance Industries Limited CEO: Mukesh Ambani. HQ: Mumbai.
5. ICICI Lombard & Bharti AXA ink agreement to combine their non-life insurance business
ICICI Lombard & Bharti AXA to combine their non-life insurance business portfolio. The proposed transaction will make it as third largest among non-life insurers, take it total Rs 164.47 billion annual premium with a combined market share 8.7%. Bharti AXA General Insurance MD: Sanjeev Srinivasan. HQ: Mumbai.
- Adani Group to acquire 74% stake in Mumbai International Airport Gautam Adani-led Adani Group is set to acquire a 74% stake in Mumbai International Airport (MIAL) which operates the country’s second-largest airport, with the current
operator settling its disputes with its minority partner and exiting the venture. Adani
to pay close to Rs 15,000 crore for the transaction.
7. Cognizant to acquire Tin Roof Software to expand digital engineering services
The acquisition is expected to expand Cognizant’s software product engineering footprint in the U.S.& connect Tin Roof’s experts with Cognizant’s broader global
software development capabilities. The transaction is expected to close in the second half of 2020. Brian Humphries is the Chief Executive Officer of Cognizant.
- CCI approves Carlyle Group’s stake acquisition in Airtel’s data centre biz The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the acquisition of compulsorily convertible preference shares and equity shares in Airtel’s data centre business, Extra
Data, by Carlyle Group’s Comfort Investments II. Competition Commission of India
(CCI), Founded- 14 October 2003.
9. CCI approves the proposal of Tau Investment to acquire shares in J B Chemicals
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the proposal of Tau Investment to acquire shares in J B Chemicals. The proposed combination envisages acquisition of up to 64.90% of the share capital of J B Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Limited. Tau Investment is a company incorporated in Singapore.
- India’s Reliance Retail to acquire Future Group’s units for $3.4 billion Reliance Retail said it has reached an agreement with Future Group to acquire the latter’s retail & wholesaler business, and its logistics and warehousing business for
$3.4 billion (₹24,713 crores). The brands include Big Bazaar, FBB, Foodhall, Easyday
etc. Reliance Retail is a subsidiary of Reliance Industries.
|POLICY/EXCHANGE RATE & RESERVE RATIO||PERCENTAGE|
|Reverse Repo Rate||3.35%|
|Marginal Standing Facility Rate (MSF)||4.25%|
|Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR)||3.0%|
|Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR)||18.0%|
|ORGANIZATION/ PARAMETERS||RATE/ FIGURES|
|Retail inflation||6.93% in July|
|Food inflation according to Consumer Price Index data||9.62% in July|
|RBI 2019-20 annual report (India’s overall growth)||minus 4.5% for 2020-21|
|The output of eight core infrastructure industries||shrank by 15% in June|
|Alexander Lukashenko||Belarusian President|
|KN Anantha Padmanabhan||Included in ICC’s international panel of umpires|
|V R Chaudhari||Chief of IAF’s Western Air Command|
|Sashidhar Jagdishan||CEO of HDFC Bank|
|Ajay Jain, Vivek Johri & Sungita Sharma||Members of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs|
|Irfaan Ali||Guyana’s president|
|Ajay Tyagi||Gets 18 months’ extension as SEBI chairman|
|Harsh Bhanwala||Capital India Finance Executive Chairman|
|Manoj Sinha||J&K Lieutenant Governor|
|Girish Chandra Murmu||Comptroller Auditor General of India|
|Pradeep Kumar Joshi||Chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Mahinda Rajapaksa||Prime Minister of Sri Lanka|
|Deepak Shetty||Deputy CEO and MD of JCB India|
|Patanjali||Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax, Mumbai|
|Hardayal Prasad||MD of PNB Housing Finance|
|Soma Mondal||Chairman Of SAIL|
|Isher Judge Ahluwalia||Resigns as ICRIER chairperson|
|Dinesh K Tripathi||Director-General Naval Operations (DGNO)|
|SS Mundra||Non-executive chairman of Indiabulls Housing|
|Urjit Patel||Member of the search panel for MPC members|
|Kaushik Khona||GoAir CEO|
|Rakesh Asthana||Director-General of Border Security Force|
|Satya Pal Malik||Meghalaya Governor|
|Ashok Lavasa||Resigns as Election Commissioner; to join ADB as Vice-President|
|Kishor Rungta||Chairman of Fertilisers Association of India|
|Prashant Joshi||DBS Bank India Managing Director and Head of National Distribution|
|A V Chandrashekar and Mr Pradeep Kumar Panja||Karnataka Bank Additional Directors|
|Rajiv Kumar||India’s Election Commissioner|
|Luis Rodolfo Abinader||Dominican Republic president|
|Ashwani Bhatia||Managing Director of SBI|
|Satpal Singh Satti||Himachal finance commission chief|
|Satinder Prasad||Government nominee Director in CIL Board|
|Rajiv Srivastava||Managing Director and CEO resigned, Satyanarayan Goel got the additional charge|
|Sanjiv Singh||Reliance Group President|
|Dinesh Khara||SBI Chairman|
|Mustapha Adib||Lebanon PM|
|Utpal Singh||Secretary in Lok Sabha|
|Jaideep Bhatnagar||Director-General of AIR News|
|Alice G. Vaidyan||Independent Non- Executive Director of Geojit|
|Praveen Pardeshi||United Nations Institute for Training and
Research’s global programme coordinator
|Parekh Ashvin||Nippon Life India AMC Independent Director|
|Harbhajan Singh||eBikeGO brand ambassador|
|Shahzad Mujeeb||National Brand Ambassador of Aligarh Municipal Corporation|
|Rohit Sharma||Oakley’s brand ambassador in India|
|Csaba Laszlo||Chennaiyin FC Head Coach for 2020-21 Season|
|Cristiano Ronaldo||Juventus’ ‘Most Valuable Player of the Year’ Award|
|Jacques Kallis, Lisa Sthalekar and Zaheer Abbas||ICC Hall of Fame 2020|
|Tribal Affairs Ministry||SKOCH Gold Award|
|Dalmia Bharat Group||FICCI CSR Award for Environment Sustainability|
|Srihari Pabbaraja||CRSI Bronze medal 2021|
|Apps Zoho Invoice & Zoho Workplace||Winners in the AatmaNirbhar Bharat App Innovation Challenge (Business & Office category respectively)|
|Naandi Foundation||Food Vision 2050 prize|
|Nitin Sethi||Asian College of Journalism’s Award for
|Shiv Sahay Singh||K. P. Narayana Kumar Memorial Award for Social Impact Journalism|
|Pune-based Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT)||Won first prize in the Smart India Hackathon 2020|
|Rohit Sharma, Mariappan Thangavelu, Vinesh Phogat, Rani Rampal & Manika Batra||Khel Ratna Award|
|St Christopher School, Cheshire, Village, Nagaland||First-ever Pallikkutam National Award for Innovation in Education instituted by Rajagiri Media|
|Ganesh Vilas Legare||Awarded Star 2020 Certificate by World Book of Records, London|
|Anand Mahindra, Shantanu Narayen||2020 Leadership Awards from USISPF|
|Va Tech Wabag||Global Water Award in the ‘wastewater project of the year’ category.|
|Marieke Lucas Rijneveld||International Booker Prize|
|Satyendra Singh Lohia||Tenzing Norgay Adventure Award|
|Noor Inayat Khan||Honoured with Blue Plaque|
|Group of researchers from IIT Kharagpur led by Prof Sunando Dasgupta||Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Awards 2020|
|Anita Kundu||Tenzing Norgay National Adventure award|
|World Sanskrit Day||NA|
|Hiroshima Day, Anti-Nuclear Day||NA|
|National Handloom Day||NA|
|World Senior Citizen Day||NA|
|World Tribal Day||COVID-19 and
|International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples, Nagasaki Day, Quit India Day||NA|
|World Lion Day||NA|
|World Biofuel Day||NA|
|International Youth Day||Youth Engagement for Global Action|
|World Elephant Day||NA|
|World Organ Donation Day||NA|
|International Left-Handers Day||NA|
|India’s Independence Day, International Mourning
|World Humanitarian Day||NA|
|World Photography Day||NA|
|National Sadbhavna Divas or Birthday of Rajiv Gandhi, World Mosquito Day, Indian Akshay Urja Diwas or day||NA|
|International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism, National Senior Citizen Day, World Entrepreneurs’ Day||NA|
|International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief||NA|
|International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition||NA|
|European Day of Remembrance for Victims of Stalinism and Nazism||NA|
|National Sports Day||NA|
|International Day against Nuclear Tests, National Sports Day or Dhyanchand’s Birthday||NA|
|International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances, Small Industry Day||NA|
|Amar Singh||Rajya Sabha MP and former Samajwadi Party leader|
|Sonam Tshering Lepcha||Folk musician and Padma Shri awardee|
|Kamal Rani Varun||UP Cabinet minister|
|Ebrahim Alkazi||Father of modern Indian theatre|
|John Hume||Ireland Politician & Nobel Peace Prize winner|
|Shivajirao Patil Nilangekar||Former Maharashtra CM|
|Manitombi Singh||Former India international footballer|
|Nandi Yellaiah||Veteran Congress leader|
|Agha Ashraf Ali||Kashmiri academician|
|Rahat Indori||Lyricist & poet|
|Ilina Sen||Social Activist, Academic and Author|
|Anandatheertha||Sage who lived a life of intense commitment to the Kaveri river|
|PK Muthusamy||Tamil film lyricist|
|Sumner Redstone||ViacomCBS head|
|Rajiv Tyagi||Congress leader|
|Yadupati Singhania||Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association President|
|Russell Kirsch||Digital imaging pioneer|
|Robert Trump||Donald Trump’s younger brother (He was a
|Pandit Jasraj||Indian classical vocalist|
|Bhaskar Maity||Former India goalkeeper|
|Angela Buxton||Tennis player and equal rights pioneer|
|Gaston Roberge||Film academician Father|
|Archana Mahanta||Folk musician|
|Arnold Spielberg||Computer Designer and Father of Steven Spielberg|
|Purshottam Rai||Veteran Athletics coach|
|Chadwick Boseman||‘Black Panther’ star|
|AR Lakshmanan||Supreme Court judge|
|H Vasanthakumar||Congress MP and Vasanth & Co-founder|
|Joe Ruby||TV writer and producer|
|Nipjyoti Barua||Former Indian TT Player|
IMPORTANT STATIC & CURRENT INFO INDIAN STATES, CAPITALS, CHIEF MINISTERS & GOVERNORS
|Andhra Pradesh||Amaravati||Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy||Biswa Bhusan Harichandan|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Itanagar||Pema Khandu||Brigadier BD Mishra (retd)|
|Assam||Dispur||Sarabananda Sonowal||Jagdish Mukhi|
|Bihar||Patna||Nitish Kumar||Phagu Chauhan|
|Chhattisgarh||Raipur||Bhupesh Baghel||Anusuiya Uikey|
|Goa||Panaji||Pramod Sawant||S.P Malik|
|Gujarat||Gandhi Nagar||Vijaybhai R. Rupani||Acharya Devvrat|
|Haryana||Chandigarh||Manohar Lal Khattar||Satyadev Narayan Arya|
|Himachal Pradesh||Shimla||Jai Ram Thakur||Bandaru Dattatraya|
|Jharkhand||Ranchi||Hemant Soren||Draupadi Murmu|
|Karnataka||Bengaluru||B S Yediyurappa||Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala|
|Kerala||Thiruvananthapuram||Pinarayi Vijayan||Arif Mohammed Khan|
|Madhya Pradesh||Bhopal||Shivraj Singh Chauhan||Anandiben Patel|
|Maharashtra||Mumbai||Uddhav Thackrey||Bhagat Singh Koshyari|
|Manipur||Imphal||N Biren Singh||Najma Heptulla|
|Meghalaya||Shillong||Conrad Sangma||Satya Pal Malik|
|Mizoram||Aizawl||Pu Zoramthanga||P S Sreedharan Pillai|
|Nagaland||Kohima||Neiphiu Rio||RN Ravi|
|Odisha||Bhubaneshwar||Naveen Patnaik||Ganeshi Lal|
|Punjab||Chandigarh||Amarinder Singh||V P Singh Badnore|
|Rajasthan||Jaipur||Ashok Gehlot||Kalraj Mishra|
|Sikkim||Gangtok||Prem Singh Tamang (PS Golay)||Ganga Prasad|
|Tamil Nadu||Chennai||Edappadi K. Palaniswami||Banwarilal Purohit|
|Telangana||Hyderabad||K. Chandrasekhar Rao||Tamilisai Soundararajan|
|Tripura||Agartala||Biplab Kumar Deb||Ramesh Bais|
|Uttar Pradesh||Lucknow||Yogi Adityanath||Anandiben Patel|
|Uttarakhand||Dehradun||Trivendra Singh Rawat||Baby Rani Maurya|
|West Bengal||Kolkata||Mamata Banerjee||Jagdeep Dhankhar|
UNION TERRITORIES, LIEUTENANT GOVERNORS & ADMINISTRATORS
|Union Territory||Lt. Governor & Administrator|
Andaman and Nicobar Island (UT)
|Admiral D K Joshi (Lieutenant Governor)|
|Chandigarh (UT)||V.P. Singh Badnore (Administrator)|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu (UT)||
Praful Patel (Administrator)
|Delhi (NCT)||Anil Baijal (Lieutenant Governor)|
|Jammu and Kashmir (UT)||Manoj Sinha (Lieutenant Governor)|
|Dineshwar Sharma, IPS, (Administrator)|
|Kiran Bedi, IPS, (Retd.) (Lieutenant Governor)|
|Radha Krishna Mathur (Lieutenant Governor)|
UNION MINISTERS, PORTFOLIO & CONSTITUENCY
|Narendra Modi||Ministry of personnel, public grievances and pensions||Varanasi, UP|
|Rajnath Singh||Ministry of Defence||Lucknow, UP|
|Amit Shah||Ministry of Home Affairs||Gandhinagar, Gujarat|
|Nitin Gadkari||Ministry of Road Transport and Highways & Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium enterprises||Nagpur, Maharashtra|
|DV Sadananda Gowda||Ministry of Chemical and Fertilizers||Bangalore North, Karnataka|
|Nirmala Sitharaman||Ministry of Finance & Ministry of Corporate Affairs||Rajya Sabha|
|Ram Vilas Paswan||Ministry of Consumer Affairs, food and public distribution||NA|
|Narendra Singh Tomar||Ministry of agriculture and farmers welfare, Ministry of Rural Development & Ministry of Panchayati Raj||Morena, M. P|
|Ravi Shankar Prasad||Ministry of Law and Justice, Ministry of communications & Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology||Patna Sahib, Bihar|
|Harsimrat Kaur Badal||Ministry of Food Processing Industries||Bathinda, Punjab|
|Thaawar Chand Gehlot||Ministry of Social justice and empowerment||Rajya Sabha (M.P)|
|Dr Subrahmanyam Jaishankar||Ministry of External Affairs||Rajya Sabha (Gujarat)|
|Ministry of Human Resource Development||Haridwar, Uttarakhand|
|Arjun Munda||Ministry of Tribal Affairs||Khunti, Jharkhand|
|Smriti Zubin Irani||Ministry of Women and child Development & Ministry of Textiles||Amethi, UP|
|Dr Harsh Vardhan||Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Ministry of Science and Technology & Ministry of Earth Sciences||Chandni Chowk, Delhi|
|Prakash Javadekar||Ministry of environment, forest and climate change & Ministry of Information and Broadcasting||Rajya Sabha (M.P)|
|Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprise|
|Piyush Goyal||Ministry of Railways & Ministry of Commerce and Industry||Rajya Sabha (Maharashtra)|
|Dharmendra Pradhan||Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Ministry of Steel||Rajya Sabha (M.P)|
|Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi||Ministry of Minority Affairs||Rajya Sabha (Jharkhand)|
|Pralhad Joshi||Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs, Ministry of coal & Ministry of Mines||Dharwad, Karnataka|
|Dr Mahendra Nath Pandey||Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship||Chandauli, UP|
|Giriraj Singh||Ministry of Animal Husbandry, dairying and fisheries||Begusarai, Bihar|